Maximum GPM For 1.5" Pipe

Chuck_Davis

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2010
Durham, NC
I just upgraded my Hayward SuperPump with a variable speed motor and 2.5 HP impeller. (See http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...Motor-amp-Hayward-SuperPump-(aka-FrankenPump))

In Hayward's documentation for the SuperPump VS they recommend a maximum 45 GPM flow rate for 1.5" pipe.

My new pump has a button to speed the pump up to maximum RPM for vacuuming, but at max speed it is putting out 65-70 GPM.

Is the 45 GPM recommendation a "don't blow up your system" limit or am I safe to run at 65-70 GPM for vacuuming and backwashing? If 65-70 GPM is too high, is there a GPM flow rate between 45 and 65 that is safe?

Reactions: lpmail
The particular filter wants 45-60 GPM when backwashing, and that range should also be just fine or even perhaps a little much when vacuuming.

There is no specific flow limit, but as the flow rate gets higher the system gets less efficient. 45 GPM is a suggestion of the max flow rate for reasonable efficiency, but that is just an arbitrary suggestion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.