Opening pool in Seattle

Open your pool when it suits you. You don't get enough cold weather to matter (right?) so it can be opened anytime.

My assumption is also that it isn't too warm already but if your water temp is around 55 +, I would certainly open it up.

We only have a Pentair 78HR pool and spa test kit. So we should probably go get a better one before we start?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the water temp is 52 degrees, when we lifted the cover it was steaming! 9 a.m. And it is about 50 degrees out and sunny. Yay.

Oops! Those results look a bit troublesome. They should look more like this...

FC - X
CC - X
pH - X
TA - X
CH - X
CYA - X

So if you are ready to manage your own pool, you will need a test kit that will test those parameters.

While you are thinking about that, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It is a wealth of info (overwhelming at first) but will give you an idea of what we teach and how much help is available to you to keep your pool crystal clear all summer.

We took a water sample to the pool store for testing. He couldn't print results for us but said the water was actually in pretty good shape and gave us two bags of shock and told us to bring a sample back next week.

The water was sort of white, not green, cloudy and we could see the bottom.

We are going to order the TF-100, as suggested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 47

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will be happy with your own testing kit if you want to be in control of your own pool. Your wallet will most likely thank you. I would hold off on using their "shock" until you can get accurate test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.