Metal squestrants

Well I guess my next question would be...Do I even need a metal sequestrant when refilling my hot tub? I've just always been told that I need to add that when filling it up but if I don't need to use it then I won't. I use good 'ol city of phoenix tap water. The only thing it's high in that I know of is calcium (~200)

According to the 2013 Phoenix Water Quality Report 97% of your water comes from surface water that mostly started as snow pack so very little comes from wells where there might be iron. The highest detectable level of iron was only 7 ppb so you certainly don't need to use a metal sequestrant because of your fill water. Your Total Hardness is from 190 to 289 ppm and while they do not list Calcium Hardness (CH) it is usually around 70% of Total Hardness so is probably around 133 to 202 ppm so a bit on the high side. It's manageable if you keep your TA low at around 50 ppm and if you do that then you should also use 50 ppm Borates for additional pH buffering. This is what is normally done for the Dichlor-then-bleach method anyway.

Though you won't be using it, the Leisure Time Metal Gon MSDS shows that the product is indeed HEDP which is what we recommend when a metal sequestrant is needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.