First time Pool Owner Question

Apr 9, 2014
Winter Haven, FL
Not actually owner, but renter. I am renting a house, and We are responsible for the pool. A little about it. It is 16x32 in ground 3 ft on both ends 6 ft in the middle. Salt water system, and we live in central florida. When we first decided to rent the pool was extremely green. The landlords had someone come out they drained it, and put new water in, and chemicals. When we moved in I tested it it needed more chemicals landlords put them in. Seems like water evaporates extremely quick, i topped off with water, that was about a week ago. Today I get home from work and it's turning green. I cleaned the filter, and let it run some more. Its now off for the night. Landlords put in 2 big bags of salt, and some other things. Should the pool need salt already. The chlorinator is an intellichlor. The green light in the power box is on, but no lights are on on the chlorinator itself. I do not know if there should be any on. Does anyone have this system that could help me out? OR anyone that can help out in general with why the pool would be turning green so quick. Also I ordered a solar cover. Will that help with water evaporation, and chemical evaporation?

Green means algae, and a saltwater generator won't be able to generate enough chlorine fast enough to kill it off once it gets started. If the SWG is working correctly, the pool should never turn green. So something is wrong. But first you need to get that water clear. There are a huge number of articles in Pool School that can do a better job explaining it all than I can.

A cover will slow down the evaporation and speed up the heating by sunlight. But I wouldn't put it on until the pool is clear. It will just become an algae breeding ground if you do.

One thing I would suggest to you besides spending time reading in pool school is getting yourself a good test kit. Here are the ones we recommend. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison
If you want to have a trouble free pool you need one of those kits. Now when you get yourself one of the kits post up a full set of test results and we can help you get your water cleared up and balanced. Without some good accurate test results it's hard to get things right for you.
I use the TF-100 kit.

+1 on the test kit and Pool School.

And welcome to TFP! Post pics too! :mrgreen:

Landlord is having a service person come look at the Chlorinator tomorrow. I believe it is not working at all, cause the water was clear a week ago, and i can't see the bottom today. Once the chlorinator problem is solved they will have to clear it up, and I shouldn't have a problem then. I plan on getting a test kit, but there is a pool place about 3 minutes down the road from me that does free testing. They recommended weekly testing, but it wasn't even a week and this happened. I will look through pool school, and that testing. I'll get it cleared up, and post a pic sometime soon.

by a little chlorine I mean 5 gallons were dumped in. Doesn't look very green at all. It just looks cloudy. I was trying to read about the SLAM process. What exactly should I do next. The SWG was replaced last night, and I have been running the pool 24/7 since then. I took the filter cartridge out tonight and hosed it down. I'm not doing the chemicals right now my landlord is taking care of it till it gets balanced, but if it's something cheap I can go buy and dump in that would help I could do it. If I need $70 worth of chemicals I can't really do that.

Is 5 gallons a little chlorine?

So basically I will keep adding liquid chlorine keeping it above a certain level testin at least morning and night until it changes less then 1ppm? If I do not have a test kit can I just get the water tested at the pool store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well I def need a kit. Just gotta get the money. I guess I will run to the pool store since its about 3 minutes down the road and see what they say. Once I get this thing cleared up it should give me some time till i can buy the pool kit PLUS the Landlord is the one responsible clearing it up this time. I'm gonna send her a message and see if she'll get it tested today.

Reading the chlorine n cya chart would it be recommended I maintain higher levels to protect from the sun here in Florida. I think my pool gets probably 4 hours of lots of sun during the day, I have some really tall pine tree's in my yard that block the morning sun then about 11-3 or 4 my pool is in direct sunlight. It is also screened in. Don't know if that makes any difference.

With the SWG, you want the CYA around 70ppm, but since you need to SLAM, that is best done at lower CYA.

Btw, mixing our advice and having to use the pool store is just going to get confusing and frustrating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.