Yikes. Opening after winter.

Apr 29, 2013
NE Oklahoma
I'm sure not looking forward to cleaning the 3 feet of murky mess that is my pool in order to open it in a couple weeks. Maybe you will have some tips to make it easier?

The cover got blown into it and frozen. And frankly, I sorta hibernate for winter. Today was maybe the second or third time I even looked at it since I closed it up last October.

Also, is there some machine I can set in it to clean it or maintain it's cleaning? I'd pay up to $300 IF such a contraption is deemed worth it.

Pool School. Everything you need to know is in Pool School.

I'm sure not looking forward to cleaning the 3 feet of murky mess that is my pool in order to open it in a couple weeks. Maybe you will have some tips to make it easier?

Kids. If you dont have any, then the next best thing is a pool cleaning party. :party: One of my friends does it every year. Buy a couple more nets, some "refreshments" and a bunch of porkchops :chef: or pizza.

If you dont have any friends either, then it might be rough going getting all the muck out. :-?

With your pool being 5000 gallons, I'd second a vote for a drain/refill. You may need to reset the liner some, but in the long run I'd expect this to be cheaper/quicker than the Slam process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright. I drained and refilled and everything is up and running. I seem to be having a problem getting my FC and CYA Levels up to where they should be. I poured in the amounts suggested with the pool chem table according to the numbers from my testing and they are staying 0 and <30?

Obviously I could just keep adding more of both, but I thought I'd double check to see if there could be some other problem I'm missing?

FC 0
PH 7.2
CYA <30
TA 70

I put those in the calculator and it tells me to add bleach and CYA, I do that, then check it again in the am and the numbers are the same. Pump is working fine as far as I can tell... It's still too cold to swim in for more an a few minutes if that makes a huge difference. I do remember that at initial set up last year I felt like I used a lot of bleach at first...

CYA will not show up on the test for about a week. You know what your target is, and once you have added that to the pool, bring your FC to the appropriate level for the target CYA.

Ohhhhh. Okay. Well toot. I don't think I added too much CYA... But I should keep adding bleach until it comes up, right?

So glad I checked in after adding twice. I usually don't put in as much liquid CYA as the calculator says so I think that paid off.

Thanks!

Why are you not hitting your target? You're using the pool math right? You're shooting for 4ppm FC right?

No mater what, it comes up clear in the testing. FC, Tc, CC

Weird. My CYA isn't showing up yet either.

The water is crystal clear. The pump seems to be working fine. I switched it to boost.

But I can't get the chlorine up? I guess I could just keep adding and adding more?

My Ph went up to 7.4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.