Water green/metal problem

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
I've been reading a lot in here but would appreciate some specific feedback in my case.

We moved in the fall so this is our first time opening the pool. Water was pretty darn clear when the winter cover came off but a little low (8 inches below return) because we accidentally pumped out some pool water when pumping off the cover. So over the past week we have been filling the water a little at a time from the well and the water was starting to look a little tinted. last night it was finally full enough to run the pump so we added some cya (was at 0) and enough liquid chlorine to reach 10 ppm shock. Next thing we know the water is heavily tinted green so I went and bought some glb sequa sol today and added the entire bottle. Also added some ph reducer as we were at 7.8. How long should it take to get the water blue again? What else should I do? Does the cartridge filter need to be removed and cleaned more than usual or still only when psi raises 20% or so?

This morning results
FC: 9
Cc- 0
Cya- 0
Ta- 120
Ph- 7.8

Do you know if the pool water was originally well water? Are there metals in your well? Stop putting in unknown chemicals willy nilly cause that just might confuse the condition and making it harder to know what it actually needs (or doesn't need!).
Do you have a GOOD test kit? They're worth their weight in gold....especially when they help you *not* spend money on unnecessary chemicals at the pool store! :cool:

Liner was replaced 2-3 years ago and initial fill was trucked in. Since then all top offs and opening additions have been from well per previous owners. All wells in this area have iron problems with is almost definitely what this is. I just need to know the best way to clear it up. The glb sequa-sol is a sequesterant that as far as I've been able to tell is similar to jacks

Plenty of people here have reported the pool turning clear green immediately after adding bleach. It seems to go away in a day or two through filtration. Give it a little time. Frankly, if the bleach made it precipitate so I could filter it out then backwash it away and not have to buy sequestrants, I'd be all for it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.