I need some level assistance- I don't want to screw this up!

Jun 26, 2007
Here are my levels:
FAC 5
TAC 5
PH 7.3
TA 50
Ca Harness 130
CYA 25

I have a 33k gal guinite pool with heater.

What should I adjust first? I don't want to screw this up for the upcoming weekend. I finally have my pool clear!
I am also unclear why my chlorine levels are high. I shocked last Tues night, and have been adding very little bleach since- I think 1 gallon. (I did put the remaining 2 pucks that I had in the skimmer-but I used to have 2 in each box before the bleach method.) BTW, the testing was done @ my local Leslie's-I know I need to get a test for @ home!!!

I have noticed some bit of algea starting-very little. A quick brush and it seems to be filtered out. I was planning on shocking tonight but I am not sure if I I should adjust my other levels first. I am particularly concerned with the Hardness (pool heater concern).

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. We have a 4th party and I don't want to screw up my pool!

I'll post my thoughts as a test to see how well I've learned. My hope is others will chime in and correct as necessary.

You need to get your Ca up soon. I have a vinyl pool and haven't paid much attention. But, as I recall, 300 ppm is what is recommended for a gunite/plaster pool.

Other numbers are near optimal. I would add some soda ash to bring the pH up a bit and increase the TA as well. I would add only half the calculated amount and see the effect. You are right on the edge of the recommended range for both and over shooting would be bad.

Calcium is not required for a pool heater, but it is required for a plaster/pebble pool. You should bring your calcium hardness up to 250, or a little more.

Your TA level is low and should be brought up. If you continue using trichlor then bring TA up to 100. If you are sticking with bleach then somewhere around 70-90.

Your CYA level is a little low. Aim for CYA between 30 and 50.

Calcium should not be added on the same day as raising the TA. Otherwise they can be done in any order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.