FC increase much less than expected

iam4iam

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2012
Johnson City, TN
I just started up my SWG again a few days ago, and was quite surprised to find my increase in FC only about 1/2 of what it was last summer! Is this thread possibly explaining that this could be because my water temperature is currently only 60oF, as opposed to 80oF when I measured the FC increase last summer? And should I also expect a slightly greater increase in pH at the lower water temperature (probably not enough to measure, but just asking)?

Could be that the SWG is not running as much due to the colder water. Could be that your CYA is lower and you are losing more FC to the sun. Could be that there is something growing in you water and consuming the FC

Could be that the SWG is not running as much due to the colder water.
As far as I know, it either runs or doesn't run. (In other words, I don't think the 60o causes the SWG to only run part of the time.
Could be that your CYA is lower and you are losing more FC to the sun.
CYA is lower, but not relevant here, since the SWG was running overnight, not during the day, and I was comparing dusk and dawn readings.
Could be that there is something growing in you water and consuming the FC
Water is crystal clear and OCL<0.5, so no.

Lower water temperatures will make the SWG less efficient. At lower temperatures the water will be less conductive, so less current passes through, so less chlorine generated. The SWG will increase the voltage to try to compensate, but it has a limited adjustment range and can't fully compensate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.