sodium hypochlorite bleach vs calcium hypochlorite

Apr 12, 2014
birmingham al
I am seriously interested in starting the BBB method to cease with the trichlor tabs. The 2 questions i have are 1) can calcium hypochlorite be substituted for the sodium hypochlorite bleach and 2) after the pool is stabilized how often does the chlorine normally have to be added to maintain the proper disinfectant level. These may be elementary questions but maybe someone can help me.

Welcome to TFP!

CalHypo adds CH. If your starting CH levels are low you can go a fairly long time. But used constantly as your main source of chlorine cal hypo will eventually raise the CH level too high.

Chlorine is normally added daily. With some effort you can get that down to every other day, but daily is more reliable and less expensive.

Trichlor tablets can be used for several days to a little over a week once in a while for vacations and such. If you are going to be away for a couple of days every week then you might want to think about getting a SWG or bleach pump system.

Have you checked out "Pool Math" in the link at the upper part of the page. Plug in your numbers and you can calculate. At the bottom is a section where you can estimate results of additions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.