Need advice on pump.

Jun 20, 2008
Hi there,

We are beginning the process of having our first pool built and need some advice on the pump. I noticed a discrepency in the contract and the plans. The plans say that a 1.5 HP is going to be put in but, the contract says a 2.0 HP. I don't know if this makes a huge difference or not. Does my pool need a 2.0? Am I going to save on electricity with either? The PB is coming by today and I don't know weather I should push the issue not or. :? Please advise...

Thanks,
Raquel

If that is the only pump you have for the spa jets, then yes you will probably need a 2 HP pump but it does depend on the number of jets and the pump type. For 6 jets, you might be able to get away with a 1.5 HP full rated pump but if you like them strong, then I would go with the 2 HP to make sure you have enough flow. For 8 jets, you will need a 2 HP. Either way, make sure the spa has 2 1/2" plumbing or multiple 2" lines.

You could always go with a 2 speed pump or better yet an Intelliflo pump and that way run at lower speeds when you don't need the full flow rate. The Intelliflo is nice for a spa since you can adjust the jet strength and also run a very low speeds to save energy when just circulating.

Mark,
Yes, it is also going to control the six jet spa as well. We met with the PB and he is going to put in the 2HP. He noticed as well and had already made the changes in the size of the plumbing. We are going to pick out the tile and coping and pavers on Wed and while we are there I'm going ask about upgrading to the two speed pump or the intelliflo. I also read they will save energy which means a lower electric bill!!!! Thanks for the advice!!

Raquel

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.