How to loosen the eye to move on return.

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
I took the eye out and put a cap on the return over winter. Now I have the eye out to put back on and it won't budge. I need ideas how to get it moving again. At the moment I just put it in a bowl of vinegar to soak. Anyone have a trick???

And thank you to everyone on this site. I just took the winter cover off the pool and it is crystal clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I found this site!!!!!

Typical eye style return fittings are made of three pieces: a short piece of threaded pipe, usually with a rim on the "outside" end, the eyeball it's self, and a larger ring that holds the eyeball against the pipe. If you loosen the large ring the eyeball will move more easily. Once the whole thing is apart, I often use plumbers lube on the eyeball to make it easier to move around when installed. A strap wrench is a good thing to try and grab the short piece of pipe when trying to loosen the fitting.

On most Hayward style eyeball fittings there are a pair of grooves inside the short piece of pipe. These are for the "special tool" Hayward sells, to get the pipe tight in the wall fitting, before installing the eyeball to it. Then it's just a matter of slightly loosening the ring, and adjusting where you want the flow going.

Wish I would have known that before. I have it on so tight from screwing it in the side of the pool that I can't get it loose. I may have to order a tool for that. I don't have a strap wrench and don't want to mess up the threads. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.