Pool in house we are buying

Mar 24, 2014
Phoenix
So after a long protracted and painful process, it looks like I will be closing on our house in the next few days, but won't be able to move for a couple of weeks yet.

While down there earlier, I took some pics to post here, and got got some water tested in a local pool shop (yes I know, but I won't buy any of my own kit till I have keys in hand lol). The pool is around 30'x10'x5'

so the figures were;
FAC - 0
TAC - 0
CYA - 50
total alkalinity - 80
pH - 7.3
copper - 0
dissolved solids - 1300
Phosphates - 500

So a few questions if I may. It currently has a holder for the tablets in the pool, but as there were leafs in the pool this afternoon, I assume that the seller has stopped any pool service she had, hence it's empty. The pump was on on a timer, and making a strange noise, so I checked the leaf tracked with was all but clogged. I unblocked the basket, and it seems to have helped and stopped the noise. So, my question is, how long do I have till the pool starts to suffer, and maybe end up green? It has (I'm told) "pop up" cleaners in the base of the pool, and the pump is on a timer.

When the pop ups come up, there appears to be a good few bubbles rising aswell, does that mean I have an airleak on an 'o' ring on the pump/strainer?

I have also posted some pics, and would be very grateful if some one could tell me what I have, if it looks ok, and what I need to do to in the short term to make sure everything stays ok till we finally move in :)

Many thanks in expectation.

Pauldscf0203N.jpg
dscf0204N.jpg
dscf0209N.jpg

It only takes a few days of zero chlorine for algae to get going. Algae is annoying, but it isn't the end of the world.

The leaves might be a more serious problem. If they completely block the water flow the pump can overheat and damage it's self.

What I see in the pictures looks fine, and your description only suggests that it needs minor attention, and much of that can be put off. Only the zero chlorine and leaves pose any short term issues.

Thank you Jason. We expect to be able to get there is a couple of days, leafs will be a problem for time being, once we are in, not that concerned, just don;t want there to be loads of damage as they have stopped maintainence, and we can't get in yet.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why wouldn't you order one of the Recommended Test Kits now so you have it when you get the keys? Or even start maintaining it before you get the keys so it does not turn into a total mess. ;)

that CYA is already at the upper limit of our recommendations and the tablets are only going to keep raising it more .... and they are already clearly not able to keep up and have the FC register.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.