First-time pool owner, need help with setup

Apr 11, 2014
Central Tx
Hey all. We recently moved into a house which has a pool (stats in sig). The pool has been covered for the entire winter and we are ready to remove the cover and set it up for the year. I took a water sample down to a local pool place and my stats are below. The water is also green from the little peak I did under the cover. I read the thread about the SLAM procedure, but it states that before you SLAM, that the pH must be up to speed first. With my pH being 8.3, I'm assuming acid needs to be added. How much do you guys suggest adding to bring the pH down? Anything else I need to do?

I also want to add that I haven't turned my pump on yet or done any sort of cleaning. The only time the pump has run since I've owned the house was when the freeze switch kicked in (below 35*).

poolstats10april.jpg

Most folks around here are going to tell you to ignore the pool store test results.
You really need to have a good set of test results before you decide where to start.

About your pH.
I plugged your info into pool math.
It says you would need 42 oz. of muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.5.
However I am a bit or a noob around here and would like to defer to someone with more experience to make sure I haven't steered you wrong.

The amount you need depends upon the strength of what you are adding. Using Pool Math (located on the tab at the top of the Forum) you will need from 38 to 91 ounces depending upon the strength of your acid. Read the label on your bottle and use pool math for the most accurate answer.

Welcome to the Forum.

Welcome to TFP!

Like was said, you need one of the recommended test kits to accurately follow the SLAM process ... impossible without it.

Also PoolMath will be very useful to help you determine how much chemicals is needed for a desired change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.