Should I upgrade to 2 speed pump ?

May 23, 2007
Michigan
I have a 20X40 pool with a spill over SPA. Currently I have a Hayward Super pump II model SP2510 X15 (1.5HP Single Speed). The motor is bad and needs to be replaced so I am not sure what to get.

1. I had considered switching to a two speed motor to save energy. With my Jandy system I was thinking I could run it at low speed for pool circulation and then bump it up when using the spa. Would I save that much energy vs the cost of a two speed motor ?

2. Just get the same motor.

3. Buy a new motor and pump. ECM or two speed.

Since I need to replace the motor anyway I was hoping to replace it with something that would reduce my electrical bill.

Consider a EcoTech VS pump. Much more flexibility than a 2 speed and it has a controller built in. You can get it for $350. There a thread specifically on upgrading a SuperPump to VS.
My EcoTech should be delivered today or Monday.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Yes, a two speed motor will more than pay for it's self if you use it on low speed most of the time, even if your electric rates are fairly low (roughly $.08/kWh or higher it is well worth it, at low rates it might still be worth it, but is more debatable).

My plan now is to upgrade my existing Super Pump II 1.5 HP motor to a two speed motor and control the speeds with my Jandy PS-4 (Purchased April 2007). Now I have a few more questions.
1. If I have open relays in my PS-4 can I use one of them to control the pump speed or do I have to get a two speed pump relay (6796) ?
2. I know my Super Pump motor is a 56J chassis but is there a specific two speed motor I need to work with the Jandy system ? Can anyone recommend a specific motor that will work for me and the best place to get it ?
3. I installed my whole Jandy system but the documentation is not clear on the installation of the two speed pump. Is there some clear documention for the wiring ?
4. Will this pump work ?

http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?...ducts_id=597:ba44b60925c61449b04b563b4879119f

Which 2-Speed Motor ?

My single speed Hayward super pump (SP2610 X15) motor died and I am really confused as to which 2-speed motor will work on the pump. The more I read the more confused I get so if someone can provide me a specific part number to order I would feel a lot better considering the motor costs $300.

The current motor is a 1.5 HP AO Smith with a SF of 1. All my lines are 1.5 inch and the pool is a 20x40 with a spill over spa. I want the SPA to get the best flow possible at high speed while low speed provides some electrical savings while the pool is filtered. I also use a Jandy PS 4 system that will control the speeds.

1. I read a post that said Hayward tech support recommended someone use the SPX 1610Z2M. The description for this motor states it will fit just about every pump but the 2610. Will this motor fit my pump ?

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX16...=1397428086&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=spx+1610z2m

2. Is the only thing I need besides the motor is the 6796 two speed relay ?

If someone knows of a better motor for my needs at a comparable price please provide a link so I order the correct part.

Thanks for all your help !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.