cement deck or stamped concrete deck around IG pool ???

Donny

Feb 1, 2014
Upstate, NY
I'm tossing around the difference in cost between regular cement and stamped concrete for my decking around the pool which will be around 1200 sq ft. 8.00 for regular cement and 10.50 for the stamped. It's around a 3,000 difference. Does the stamped concrete look that much better than regular cement ??? I'm not sure 3,000 better ?? Any thoughts and/or comments would be appreciated.

that's a question only you can answer.

I've seen very nice examples of stamped concrete and I've seen rather nice "regular" concrete whether it's exposed aggregate or just a simple broom finish.

If it were me, I would ask the builder if he can show you examples of each in projects they've completed. This will give you more help than all the opinions in the world.

Found this: http://www.concretenetwork.com/slip-resistant-coatings/gritty-sealers.html

"Several manufacturers sell a grit that can be added to the final sealer coat to increase the coefficient of friction. Chris Sullivan, National Sales Manager for QC Construction Products and one of the Concrete Network's technical experts, says that the best material to use for this purpose is a grit made from ground up polyethylene. He notes that silica sand or aluminum oxide beads have also been used, but these materials can change the appearance of decorative concrete.The advantages of the plastic grit are that it is nearly transparent and that it is so light it stays suspended throughout the sealer. This allows new grit to be exposed as the sealer wears. It also allows it to stay in suspension during application, although one decorative concrete veteran says that you should still stir the grit up occasionally to make sure it stays completely mixed."

http://www.hcconcrete.com/products/shark-grip-prep-products/Shark_Grip_Slip_Resistant_Additive/

It's certainly up to personal preference and budget as to whether you think it is worth it for stamped. We did stamped on our concrete, because our budget didn't allow for pavers or real stone but we wanted something besides plain concrete. We have integral color, and we haven't sealed it yet (we are still in progress on our renovation). I don't think we are required to seal it, but if we do I've already asked for a matte impregnating sealer that will not create the "wet" look and create the slippery surface that my front porch (stamped and sealed "wet" before we bought the house) has, and our PB says that is completely doable. Right now, with no sealer, our stamped pool deck isn't slippery at all, and the pattern we chose has a lot of texture so that might be helping us. Lots of pics in my thread starting about page 8 in my signature if you want to see!

Stamped is definitely slippery when compared to regular concrete, but the non-slip additives pretty much negate that aspect.

The other issue that is possible is that if the concretor "over stamps" when applying the finish and leaves indentations, then dew and rain water will accumulate in these low spots attracting dirt and this tends to lead to a break down in the sealer over time.

Stamped concrete was very very popular a few years ago here in Australia for driveways but has fallen out of favour lately due to the above reasons.

Personally, I would look at something other than stamped concrete for a pool deck as I know the headaches I had with some areas of my last driveway

It's certainly up to personal preference and budget as to whether you think it is worth it for stamped. We did stamped on our concrete, because our budget didn't allow for pavers or real stone but we wanted something besides plain concrete. We have integral color, and we haven't sealed it yet (we are still in progress on our renovation). I don't think we are required to seal it, but if we do I've already asked for a matte impregnating sealer that will not create the "wet" look and create the slippery surface that my front porch (stamped and sealed "wet" before we bought the house) has, and our PB says that is completely doable. Right now, with no sealer, our stamped pool deck isn't slippery at all, and the pattern we chose has a lot of texture so that might be helping us. Lots of pics in my thread starting about page 8 in my signature if you want to see!

Wow the stamped concrete you choose looks great!! I guess there is a big difference compared to reg concrete. I really like the stamped. Thx.

Have you thought about pavers, like travertine? All concrete will crack. I have a friend who installed scored and stained concrete that looks like travertine. After two months it had several cracks. They live in a multi million dollar home in the Garden District of New Orleans on St. Charles Avenue. I am of modest means but I learned a lesson from them. I installed real travertine at $11.00 per square foot. It can always be re-leveled or pulled up and re-set if their is settling or plumbing work needs to be done. It does need a little maintenance due to weeds growing in cracks but after 18 months it looks WAY better than my friends faux travertine. I have had my builder here two times in the first year due to settling but it is stable now and they did both at no charge as stated in their contract. I would have it no other way. Welcome to TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We thought it was 3000 better. It does look nice (see my build thread in sig). However, as others have pointed out, it is still concrete, and you will get small cracks. If you can get stone installed for a similar price in your area, go for it. That wasn't the case for us. Stamped concrete was a good compromise between plain concrete and stone work.

I have a large expanse of swept/brushed cement. I wish I'd been shown more options when we built because I would have happily paid more at that time to get something more attractive and comfortable to walk on! We just didn't know to ask at that time, and obviously our pool builder wasn't trying to upsell us much, darn it. LOL

I love the look of stamped finished concrete, but also had concerns of it being slipping, not to mention the irregular surface for kiddo's around the pool. I personally would love to have it, but our PB does not do
stamped. We knew this going in. But also was not a deal breaker. We opted for colored concrete with brushed finished.
Another option is to go with standard gray concrete and later on have what is called spray deck installed. They do some amazing things with that product.

I have a large stamped concrete patio but went with cool deck around the pool. Cool deck is much cooler and more comfortable on your feet. My stamped patio gets very hot during July and august, and can burn small children's feet. The two surfaces blend together quite well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.