Polaris Back Up Valve

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
Polaris 380. Is the back up valve supposed to have a jet of water coming from it when it is not in 'back up mode'? I'm assuming a trickle is fine, but I'm getting a jet of water permanently from the valve. The jet is about 40 to 50% of the power of the jet that you see at 'back up cycle' time. I'm sure this is robbing the cleaner of power. Wheels are rotating at about 20 RPM.....not 28 as I read in the service book. Time for a new valve I think?

Thanks in advance

Mine was doing the same thing. I called the company that built our pool and he said to "knock it against the coping a few times" to see if that could dislodge debris stuck inside. I tried it and it actually worked for a day or two. ;)

I ended up buying a new backup valve and I just installed it and now my polaris 380 is as good as new. I'm going to disassemble my old one just to see if I can fix it so I have a spare. I think I'll need a dremel drill to cut the collar off. I cannot untwist it no matter how hard I try. If it seems like i can get the insides in good working order and find an obvious obstruction, I'll buy a new collar and keep the old backup valve as a spare.

I'd suggest buying the backup valve off Amazon. It's around $50 online and it was $90 to buy it locally at Leslie's.

Mine was doing the same thing. I called the company that built our pool and he said to "knock it against the coping a few times" to see if that could dislodge debris stuck inside. I tried it and it actually worked for a day or two. ;)

I ended up buying a new backup valve and I just installed it and now my polaris 380 is as good as new. I'm going to disassemble my old one just to see if I can fix it so I have a spare. I think I'll need a dremel drill to cut the collar off. I cannot untwist it no matter how hard I try. If it seems like i can get the insides in good working order and find an obvious obstruction, I'll buy a new collar and keep the old backup valve as a spare.

I'd suggest buying the backup valve off Amazon. It's around $50 online and it was $90 to buy it locally at Leslie's.
Thanks for the tip on Amazon, I'll look into that. Kudos to whomever can dismantle those valves. No way is mine coming apart. It's a very awkward piece, I did get a sears rubber strap wrench around the outside but couldn't budge it. I think you will need a dremel, I think they have applied some sort of adhesive to the threads before assembly.
Thanks for the reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.