My pool doesn't have a auto fill valve, thinking of doing this...

I have a 50 year old plaster pool without an auto fill valve. I hoping in the near future to re plaster, tile and upgrade the copper lines to PVC but that's when I have spare $10k laying around.

Anyway, I'm planning to re plumb in the pool pump house and I had an thought.

Could I plumb in a water line via a 'T' to the return line and controlled by a ball and check valve? This way, instead of throwing a dirty water hose in the pool, I could open the valve up and fill er up. I'd still have to monitor the water level when filling but would make my life a step or two easier.

Thoughts? Concerns??

I don't think that is a good idea ... you can not rely on only a ball and check valve to prevent pool water from contaminating your fresh water supply. maybe if you also had an anti-siphon valve ... but I just not have warm fuzz feelings about having the pressured pool water trying to enter the freshwater.

BTW, "USA" is too generic of a location to be helpful in the future.

This would be an instance where I could see a double check valve(also called backflow preventer I believe) being absolutely 100% necessary. With a regular autofill device the chances of getting pool water into your fresh water lines are slim to none, but doing it the way you describe makes that highly possible.

All you really need is a back flow preventer valve to make your proposal work. They are getting more common/affordable, as they are starting to be required on all external hose faucets in some areas. They are around $40-50 for the kind you need (dual check valve with vent).

FWIW, I really like the idea as a retrofit....I never liked having to toss a hose around, and turning a valve does make things more clean. But you just have to take precautionary steps to avoid problems. overall it's not much more complicated that what you proposed.

In my area to pass code I have to have a backflow preventer/double check valve on a normal autofill device (to pass code) even though gravity would have to invert and God would have to strike me down for pool water to get into the fresh line.

I'll look into the back flow valves.

Something else I need to take into consideration is that my pump/filter sits about 3-4' below the water level so I definitely need a bomb proof system.

Jasonlion- I get the dual check valve but what's the reasoning behind the vent in my situation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.