How warm in order to install a new liner?

Apr 24, 2013
Split from another topic. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. Thanks JasonLion

I realize this thread is from last year, but we are looking at doing this for similar reasons to start off this season. How warm does it need to be outside in order to install a new liner? I saw a video which stated 80 degrees, but that would defeat the purpose of us trying to do it at the start of the pool season. Does it really need to be 80 degrees, or can you do it on a day in the high 60s/low 70s if you have plenty of sun?

Okay, I looked up the weather history. The day they installed my liner the max temp was 72 and the min temp was 37. They did the whole job in the morning, so it must have been around 45 when they started and the lower 60s when they finished. It was sunny with very little wind.

Liners are much easier to install when it is 70+ degrees and full sun, that doesn't mean they can't be installed when it is colder. If this is your first time installing a liner, it is probably well worth waiting for a warm sunny day.

Also, understand that the liner is sometimes sized based on the expected temperatures. A "winter" cut will be slightly larger than a summer cut. If you try to put in a winter cut in very hot weather, it might be too big. Make sure that whoever you're buying the liner from knows the expected temperature range for your install.

I'm having my 15 foot above ground pool installed by a company on April 10th here in Long Island, NY. After reading this thread I'm wondering if I should push it back. Looking back at weather data for my area average high and lows for April 10 are about 55 high and 38 low. This could be a dumb question, but why would the temperature make a difference when installing the liner.

This could be a dumb question, but why would the temperature make a difference when installing the liner.

It will stretch much more if the sun has been on it and the ambient temp is higher.

I lucked out when my new liner was installed 1.5 years ago. It was in October and just
happened to be the last sunny 75 degree day. It was a tight fit but they got it in though
it did stretch the tile pattern a bit in the shallow end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.