New to SWG

I am not really a fan of the ChlorEase, though they do work for some people. There aren't very many choices in that price range, and all of them involve compromises of one kind or another. The Intex SWG is perhaps the best of the inexpensive units. Spending a bit more money will get you something much more solid and reliable, for example the AquaTrol, but I guess that is rather more than just a bit more expensive.

Yes, I do recommend the Intex unit for people on a tight budget, just disconnect the cable to the copper bar portion of the unit. The AquaTrol has a built-in timer that can also control the pump, so the SWG and pump are kept in sync, it also has a much better review history, and produces more chlorine than the less expensive units. The ChlorEase has a fairly mixed review history, a relatively small chlorine production capacity, and tends to need to be cleaned frequently.

Which model Aqua-Trol (is that Hayward?) would be a good fit for my pool? I believe mine is 14,000 gallons, AGP of course. I read that you should get a SWG that is for a capacity much larger than what your pool actually is. Is that true?

Yes, Hayward AquaTrol. It will work just fine on your pool. It is designed for pools up to 18,000 gallons. There are two choices (making four models), with two different kinds of plugs (twist lock or standard), and two different mounting options (in-line or return jet).

We do recommend getting a unit larger than what you really need. The AquaTrol will be fine, even though it is not quite as much larger as we would normally recommend. A larger SWG will last longer and end up being a better value in the long run, but costs more up front. Larger units also allow you to run the pump for a shorter period of time, which can save money in some situations.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind. Would I need the RJ model? What is a flow sensor or flow control? Is that something I should consider? I attached a few pics of my plumbing set up.

You can use the RJ (return jet) or HP (inline) model. Given your setup the inline model will be easier to mount. To install the RJ model you would need to redo your return fitting and valve so the SWG was right next to the return fitting (between the return and the valve). The HP model can mount fairly easily on the vertical pipe leading to the return fitting (leaving the valve where it is).

A flow sensor is used to make sure the unit is never active unless water is flowing through the system. I believe that it is standard with the HP model, and optional with the RJ model. The RJ depends on being right next to the return with a guaranteed connection to the pool instead of using a flow sensor.

The Aqua Trol RJ can not have a cut off valve between it and the pool unless you add the optional flow switch. You can get the Aqua Trol RJ for less than $450.00 on amazon or using a Google search.

Your Pool looks great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.