What temperature do you run your heater?

Jun 1, 2013
Southeast
Last year was the first time I ran my pool. I ran it at 84 degrees. Obviously, comfort has a cost. What is a reasonable temperature for keeping it heated for you?

What is the minimum ambient temperature do you realistically have your heater turned on? Last fall I ran it when it was 60 degrees and I ran it at 84 degrees. Very costly. Hahahaha. What's a. More reasonable temperature outside to run the heater? 70+? 75+?

I find that my pool water settles at a temperature that is somewhere between the low and high air temperature. I run the heater in the pool once the water temps are around 65°F and the high/low air temps would facilitate the water either getting warmer or at least stabilizing at that level. A water temperature of 65°F is right at the minimum temperature that I get in the pool, although I would prefer it to be warmer. So when the water hits 65°F combined with air temps that will at least support that water temperature on its own, I can justify running the heater to get water temps at least into the 70's. In the spring, Mother Nature is working with you. In the fall, the opposite is true.

I keep telling myself I will get in with temps in the 70s. I always end up waiting until 80s.

My biggest problem is going under water (when it's cold) to get my weights situated to hold the steps down.

I set my heater to keep the water around 80-82 overnight depending on the forecast. Most often I target when I want to swim as opposed to maintaining the temperature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have solar heat, so it is more of a goal than a set point in the spring and fall, and I generally set it to 84 degrees, mostly swim in the afternoon and evenings, so it is often close to the goal temperature most of the season.

Ike

We use mainly solar and it was 92 deg this weekend. Normally I keep it at 89-90 in the summer. It is so nice especially if you swim at night.:cheers:

We usually prefer around 85. I have the temp dial stop set on the pool just above that so when I turn the heater on I can just turn it to that setting and forget it. That usually works pretty well. I say usually, as the set screw is not as tight as it used to be and a couple times the dial has gone past that without me really paying attention to it. A couple times I came back to find the pool in the high 90's

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.