pump size for dedicated 40 gpm waterfall

skirt

Apr 26, 2008
What pump size do I need for a dedicated Ricorock waterfall that will work with a minimum 40 gpm flow (waterfall will sheet @ this flow rate, but will handle up to 80 gpm). The waterfall will be supplied by a dedicated skimmer. The supply and return line are both 2" pvc. I'm looking @ an energy eff pentair whisperflo, but would like input on the horsepower.
Thanks

This table from the hydraulics sticky might help:

Whisperflo
Whisperflo_BEP.jpg

All the pumps in the table will probably hit the minimum but if you want to get closer to the maximum, the 1 HP should be enough. To make sure, how long are the runs from the skimmer to pump to waterfall?

The head loss should be quite low since there really isn't anything other than pipe that would create much restriction. So assuming a total of 380 feet of pipe (I used a 4x factor to account for fittings) and a 6 ft high waterfall (wasn't sure about this), even a 3/4 HP pump will give you close to 75 GPM. A 1 HP, 86 GPM so you can decide how much margin you want but like I said before any pump will probably give you more than 40 GPM so if that is all you really need, then you could go with the smaller pump.

I have a 1 HP Northstar and with a filter heater and a lot of valves, I still get over 88 GPM so I would think a 3/4 HP should be enough to get 80 GPM without the extra equipment.

The height matters somewhat so if the waterfall is higher than 6 ft. let me know. Also, do they tell you what happens if you exceed the maximum flow rate? You can always put a ball valve on the output of the pump to reduce the flow rate if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.