Replacing old DE system with something modern

Sep 18, 2011
Our group pool is 40+ years old, 66,000 gal, runs June/July/August. Currently have relatively new Hayward North Star 2 HP pump (SP4015X20), Sta-Rite 400,000 BTU heater (SR400HD), but our old (40+ years) pair of Sta-Rite 84548 48 sq ft each DE filters are shot. By shot I mean they are patched up but leaking, the valves are shot, they are done for. Each of these per the label say 48 Sq ft, Max Pressure 50%, Capacity 96 gal/min.

My first idea is to replace the pair with a single 100 sq ft Pentair 188594 Quad DE100 100 sq ft unit with a Pentair 300005 DE Separation Tank SEP100. A single filter will also require less plumbing and valve. ThSEP100 unit should allow us to quit backwashing into the city sewer, before we are told to quit doing so!

We move about 100 gal/min + presently. I am guessing that a single 100 sq ft unit would replace a pair of 48's permitting the same flow rate?

I am open to other filter possibilities, but note that our DE system creates near perfect water.

Looking for ideas!

Ron

I recommend sticking with the kind of filter you are familiar with. Any kind of filter can produce near perfect water, but the amount and kind of effort required to maintain the filter varies. For most people, sticking with what you are already familiar with is simplest.

The Quad DE 100 is rated for up to 160 GPM, so you shouldn't have any problems with 100 GPM.

No it will not, but slime bag makes a special DE filter bag that lets you return most of the water to the pool. (they suggest the first 30 seconds to go down the drain, but I suspect the separator would allow it to be directly used back into the pool). http://www.slimebag.com/?product=backwashde-slime-bag-30x36-flow-rates-up-to-120-gpm If I were to set it up I would probably use a used fire hose connected to the backwash valve and drop it into the pool when needed (old, mostly unused, but out of inspection date fire hoses can often be bought on ebay for under $50 in 50 to 100 ft lengths)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.