timer suggestions for new build

joedoe

Oct 19, 2013
pittsburgh pa
i have posted a new construction thread in under construction, but I think this particular question/thread should probably be here. I was getting ready to begin setting up my equipment area in my detached garage with a Pentair intelliflo VS 3 hp, Hayward C4030 cartridge filter, an aquarite t -15 cell. after reading the various manuals, I figured out I will need a timer to have the pump and SWG come on simultaneously, unless I am misunderstanding something.
the pump needs to be wired for 230 and the SWG can be either 115 or 230, but comes set for 230. so I was thinking of purchasing a timer that would accept 230. any suggestions?

thanks

How well does the Intelliflo work with an external timer? Seems like then you would not be using the built-in timer in the pump. In your situation, you may not need a timer for the SWG, you will just need to use a current sensing relay on the power supply to the pump that would turn on power to the SWG when the pump is pulling current.

You should be able to find more info in the forum by searching for current sensing relay.

You dont need a timer at all. Set the SWG for 230 just like the pump.

I have intelliflo with SWG (Intelichlor IC 40).

The SWG wires to the same breaker or power cable in a junction box (or timer) as the pump. THis way if the pump is off, the SWG is off and vice versa.
You shouldnt actually IMO, turn the SWG "sort of" off, it just displays LOW flow if there is no flow with he pump off, there shouldnt be any damage occur if this happens. At least that what my Owner manual tells me as well as the Pentair rep on the phone. Really cant comment about any other manufacturer of SWG

Here is the thing with using a external timer with the Intellflo and why Pentair says you shouldnt. If you plan on running a program in the pump, the external timer will be problematic. When the power is removed from the intellifo controller on top of the motor, then the the program clock (for lack of a better description) goes off and the program will not pick back up untlil you manually go out and start the pump. THe power to the pump controls has to be continual for programs to run.

I had installed a timer and this problem occured, I couldnt figure out what was happening so I called the pentair folks and they are the ones who told me this is what hapens. So I pretty much wasted the money the timer cost me.

using external timer takes away much of the user friendly features of the intelliflo.

If you are using a easy touch or some other automation, then I dont know if this is still the case but I would think so.

well i did search the forum quite a bit and have found that some people, have a current sensing relay, but there seems to be concerns as to weather they are reliable enough and will last. others have coordinated both timers so that pump comes on 1/2 hour before SWG and then SWG turns off 1/2 hour before pump shuts off.
divin dave- i am not sure exactly what you mean by this...

"The SWG wires to the same breaker or power cable in a junction box (or timer) as the pump. THis way if the pump is off, the SWG is off and vice versa."

do you use the breaker like a switch to turn both on at the same time?

That does not make sense to me either. If you do not have an external timer, the pump controls the on/off time and that will not affect the power available at the breaker.

Re-reading what I posted, i see I didnt state this very well at all. I had done some editing while writing the post and got that exactly wrong! (not the first time that's happened to me!) Sorry about the confusion and my stupidity - ugh. I will try again. :oops:

My SWG is on the same power circuit as the VS pump. In essence, both are on the same breaker.
The VS pump controller is continuously powered 24/7. The controller turns the pump on and off at programmed times.
I mis stated that my SWG tuns off ....... Duh!

What I meant was as mine is currently set up, the SWG cell stops producing cholorine, but the cell is still powered up when the pump is not running. (According to the Pentair guy, thats ok. I admit I am by no means an expert, but I am skeptical because that just doesnt seem logical to me for longevity of the cell).

If using the pentair VS and a Pentair SWG, It is certainly feasible and probably a good idea to install a timer for the SWG only, and set it to coincide with the start and stop times of the VS pump program, which I intend on doing in the very near future.

well i did search the forum quite a bit and have found that some people, have a current sensing relay, but there seems to be concerns as to weather they are reliable enough and will last. others have coordinated both timers so that pump comes on 1/2 hour before SWG and then SWG turns off 1/2 hour before pump shuts off
divin dave- i am not sure exactly what you mean by this...

"The SWG wires to the same breaker or power cable in a junction box (or timer) as the pump. THis way if the pump is off, the SWG is off and vice versa."

do you use the breaker like a switch to turn both on at the same time?

So you are relying on the flow sensor to stop the SWG production of explosive gas. That is generally not what most manuals say and the flow sensor is meant to be a backup to the power actually being turned off. Sure what you have should be fine, but it would not be good if the flow switch failed closed.

I would recommend an automation system. Your cost won't be much more than going without automation. The automation has all of the timers and SWG power source. Therefore, you save all of the money not buying separate timers etc.

Automation also can control any heater or booster pumps while avoiding conflicts between equipment.

I would recommend going all one manufacturer for everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks a lot for the responses. I am concerned the choices between current sensing relays, timers, coordinating times of on/off for pump and swg. it seems like all of these have there pros and cons. what concerns me most is putting out a good bit of cash for pump, filter and SWG and having constant issues and frankly worrying if the power goes out am I going to ruin one of these expensive pieces of equipment. I think I am leaning towards the automation system for ease of wiring and peace of mind.

I am sure many posters have worked out what they need to do for their situation and it is reliable and cost effective for them, however, I like to put it all together and kinda of forget it, meaning I don't want to be worrying about all the above mentioned possible headaches. NOT TO WORRY THOUGH, I AM ALWAY FULL OF MORE QUESTIONS (it seems that way anyway)

by the way, just pour the footer this AM...a 4 inch concrete pump hose is not joke! I thought it would it be a lot easier!! we pured about 7 yards in about 1.5 hours, but most of that was maneuvering the hose, removing sections reclamping etc. luckily I had a friend help, but the operator did a lot more than he probably usually does, I gave him a nice tip! also it woul dhave been impossible with wheel barrows, so I didn't have much choice.

Jason,
thanks for informing me of that possibility. I didnt know the thing could explode. When the PB sold me on my 'options', I didnt know the timer would eliminate a lot of the flexibility of the VS pump. After only a couple weeks the timer actually quit working anyway.... long story short, I fired the PB and got rid of the timer and finished a lot of my pool build myself. So as you say, its only the flow switch protecting me. I will be putting in a timer to the SWG as soon as I can get my hands on one. Cant say how much I appreciate you letting me know about this. Thank you!

So you are relying on the flow sensor to stop the SWG production of explosive gas. That is generally not what most manuals say and the flow sensor is meant to be a backup to the power actually being turned off. Sure what you have should be fine, but it would not be good if the flow switch failed closed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.