Pool Life expectency poll?

How long do you expect your pool to last before being filled in or majorly renovated?

• Total voters

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
For those of you that are considering building an inground pool, or have recently built one, I was wondering how long you expect your pool to last before being filled in or majorly renovated (not just maintenance items like vinyl liners or new plaster)?

I believe our pool to be about 40 years old and undergoing its first renovation now. However, based on the condition when I bought it, it was probably due for a renovation about 10 years ago - cracked concrete and coping, painted plaster and tiles falling off. So to keep it looking good and not like it's a pit of deferred maintenance, I'd bet in 30 years it will need another renovation (and re-plastering in the interim, of course).

We recently did the first major renovation of our pool, which was built 45 to 50 years ago. We could have gotten by with just a new liner, but we wanted a nicer look and lower maintenance equipment.

I guess this does kind of depend on what you define as "major renovation" and what is "normal maintenance". I have only been in the house for 5 years and at some point before me the filter and pump were replaced. I replaced the pump again with a 2-speed and added automation, SWG, and solar. Added auto-fill, replaced skimmer, re-plaster and tile, and re-coated deck. So, I have put a good chunk of change into it over time, which may make it a "major renovation"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't vote, but this is my 2nd pool season with a roughly 25 year old pool. They started a "normal' facelift (nothing fancy, plaster, some decking work) this week. In fact, it is the first re-plaster of the pool. I can tell because the original stamp from the original pool builder was still showing. Knock on some serious amounts of wood, but the reason I bought this house is the 20 year old pool without a crack in it. It appears to the pros to be as solid as a rock. We had a bunch of small earthquakes in our area before the new year, and I was very nervous, but it handled those with no problems.

I guess my answer would depend on your definition of major remodel. IMO replaster is a major remodel...If it wasn't for that I'd say >30 yrs.

Father in laws pool was ~50yrs old when we sold his house. It needed a new sand filter, and could have used a new plaster job (some stains...but heck he drained it all winter every year.) I'm hoping mine lasts as well as his.

I have a 50 + year old concrete pool, that is 20x44. In my last 15 years of ownership, I have repaired cracks, built new steps, sandblasted the surface, replaced skimmers once, resealed bottom drain, replaced filter and pump twice, created new lines from skimmers to pool room, replaced tile border two times.

I am now repairing two leaks at the base of the skimmer and under the surface of the shallow end.

Beautiful pool.... Worth every penny and all the effort to keep it up-to-date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1397292050.656538.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1397292050.656538.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 141
I think what brings down a pool in terms of it getting filled in and abandoned is poetical like if a new owner has small kids or doesn't want to take care of a pool.

My question is would anyone count a pool that was built in the 1950's was used for 20 years with water in it and then filled in the 1970's. But then re dug out and cleaned up would that in turn make it a 60 year old pool?

My current plans are to build a large 10,000 gallon to 70,000 gallon cement fish tank in a steal building with a planned life span of 20 to 30 years. But this is not out of the question in that a lot of large fish tanks like a 20,000 gallon saltwater and 50,000 freshwater tank that were home built are turning 10 and 21 years old. One of my giant fish tank plans even has me buying a house with a abondoned swimming pool and gutting it and building a new cement wall with viewing windows for the fish tank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.