Bleach VS Chlorine..cheaper??

Jun 20, 2008
Our local Pinch A Penny will fill the reusable 2 1/2 GL jug for $4.50 at 12%HC. We pay almost $2 for 1GL clorox. Would it not be better for me to buy the clorine at the pool store and not use regular bleach? All the other products at the pool store seem high but for the chlorine it is cheaper I think. Any help would be great.

I use the 2.5 gallon jug. My pool store goes through it pretty quick so it stays reasonably fresh. Sodium hypo is very volatile at that percentgae though and likely won't be that strong when you buy it.

I use 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store at $3.65 per gallon so you're definitely getting a good deal. I've tested the chlorine level and it's always as advertised, but they have a good turnover. It is true that more concentrated chlorine doesn't last as long, but well-made product still takes a while to lose its strength unless its stored at high temperatures (see the chart at the bottom of this link). I get my chlorine at the pool store not only for a price somewhat comparable to bleach in my area, but they reuse the bottles which is even better then recycling.

Richard

I get 12.5% liquid shock from the pool store, I get it for $10 for 4 gallons, so that is about $2.50 a gallon. When I find it on sale I will get it for $8.00 a case, at which point I will buy about four cases. I usually only buy 2 at a time. My pool seems to use about 3 gallons every two weeks, generally about a quart a day keeps it good, with an extra does on occasion for good measure.

Buying it like that keeps my recycling down too. Our bin is already too small, and having 6% bleach bottles blowing all up and down the street is not a good thing.

I wish I could find a deal like that. I switched in our area to 6% at Walmart as 174oz bottles are $2.50 and if you double the concentration to get the 12% or so of LC then price wise, I am comming out better as my local pool guy charges $4.99 a gallon before tax. The $2.50 at Walmart has more oz per price and even though I have to add a bit more and it may take me 15-20 seconds longer, its still worth the price as its close to my house, and its open 24-7 so I only need to keep a few jugs on hand as the Walmart brands have a vacuum seal on the bottle which should help contain the concentration of chlorine in the bleach bottle.

I sent an email to my local pool dude and guess what, he hasnt responded back to me in over a week! :grrrr:

Hmmmm. Wonder Why!

reindeerboy said:
I wish I could find a deal like that. I switched in our area to 6% at Walmart as 174oz bottles are $2.50 and if you double the concentration to get the 12% or so of LC then price wise, I am comming out better as my local pool guy charges $4.99 a gallon before tax. The $2.50 at Walmart has more oz per price and even though I have to add a bit more and it may take me 15-20 seconds longer, its still worth the price as its close to my house, and its open 24-7 so I only need to keep a few jugs on hand as the Walmart brands have a vacuum seal on the bottle which should help contain the concentration of chlorine in the bleach bottle.
I've been using Walmart 6% for the last two years. Around the same price as you. 12% is very hard to find around here. But based on the $2.50 price, that's about $1.84 per gallon, and equivilent to $3.68 per gallon of 12%. Pretty close to what Chem Geek is paying. But FlaShay's deal of $4.50 for 2.5 gallons comes out to $1.80 per gallon for 12%! That is a great deal!

Agreed. Really hard to find those kind of deals.

I am happy with what I have found now as I went fully to BBB this year and the pool has never looked that clear before.

The mother in law even commented last night how nice it looked! :goodjob:

cateng said:
I just talked to the local pool store and they are selling 10% Liquid Shock at $4.50 for 4 gal or 12% LC for $2.70/gal. Why would you use the LC and not the Liquid Shock considering it is so much cheaper?
MP
In this scenerio, the 10% Liquid Shock is a much better deal coming in at around 1.13 a gallon compared to the 2.70 a gallon for the 12% liquid chlorine. If you look at it as price per percent of chlorine you're looking at 11 cents per 1% of the Shock versus 23 cents per 1% of the LQ. The Shock is less than half the price!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.