Maintain your chemicals correctly

ps0303

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jul 6, 2011
FL
Received a call from a customer that I installed a gas heater for 5 months ago. He said its leaking water. Not good. Went and investigated and sure enough, really bad. I took the unit apart and found the worst chemical damage ever and the unit was only 5 months old. Here are two pictures. One of a shinny new copper heat exchanger and the other one is the one I pulled out. Notice that there is NO copper showing at all. It's all been eaten away thus leaking. 5 months old!!

Maintain your chemicals correctly and if you have a pool guy like this guy did, make sure they are doing their job.

HeatExchangerNew.jpg 5monthsold.jpg

That is amazing. Was anything obvious about what would have caused this to happen so fast? Like a tablet feed just before the heater?

It seems mind-boggling to me that the pH could have been kept low enough for this to happen that fast.

The PH was WAAAAYYY off and for the entire 5 moths. When I checked it the day I went it was 5.0. Chlorine was zero as well.

Today when I replaced the heat exchanger the PH was 7.2, still .82 on the chlorine and ALK was 94.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.