new pool on the way, digging has begun

Mar 30, 2014
Brunswick, GA
I ordered a semi-inground pool from the pool factory and started digging. Once we hit about 2ft it was all sand. Is that going to be a good enough base? I know people add sand to the bottom which was my plan, but will the sand be a problem before I add the sand inside of the pool wall? I've seen people start with dirt and clay, but can't find anything on sand. I started leveling it at the lowest spot so the bottom is undisturbed and it feels solid walking on it, just not sure if I need to do something else to prepare.

Here's some updated pics of the progress. Got the ground all leveled and pool wall up. Ran a sub panel outside to power everything. Just finished putting the liner in today and plan on filling tomorrow! Filter is on the way so I'll probably start pouring a pad tomorrow or the next day.

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

pool3.jpg

pool4.jpg

pool5.jpg

pool6.jpg

pool7.jpg

Last edited:
Now back to our regularly scheduled question.......

Is the soil you are describing as sand a sand and clay mix, heavy on the sand? If you wet a handful of it, will it hold it's shape when squeezed? Can you post a pic or three of your dig?

2014-04-10_18-03-28_237.jpg

Here's a clump that was already damp. I squeezed it and it held the shape but when I dropped it 6 inches it crumbled easily.
2014-04-10_18-06-34_712.jpg
2014-04-10_18-06-50_962.jpg

2014-04-10_18-07-15_385.jpg

I can walk on the part that I have leveled and it doesn't leave any kind of impression.. feels nice and compact.

Then there is no reason for you to have to buy additional sand. When you think you have it level and compacted, rent a plate compactor and go over the entire pool area plus 2' - 3' around it. Be prepared to spread a shovel full here and there, as you get the ground compacted there will be areas that compact a little more than others.

I envy your dirty sand! I have brick clay under the topsoil here, it's a pain in the behind to work with. Sand base was a must for me.

We have clay too and once it gets hot and dries out here, you can just forget about digging in it! Imagine trying to dig a hole through a side walk... ugh!

Thanks Charlie! I know people add sand inside of the pool wall but just wasn't sure if sand was good enough by itself for the frame and wall to actually sit on.

Yeah the sand is really easy to work with. The shovel just slices right through it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Charlie! I know people add sand inside of the pool wall but just wasn't sure if sand was good enough by itself for the frame and wall to actually sit on.

Yeah the sand is really easy to work with. The shovel just slices right through it.

Ok.... quit bragging! :rambo:

:mrgreen:

Tell her if she's in that much of a hurry, she can grab a shovel! Don't let anyone pressure you into setting up until the ground is absolutely level.

I agree! Take your time! If I could get a do over, I'd have someone over to watch hubby because of his accident so I could have done a better job on the floor. I can't do anything about it until I change the liner out in several years now.

Yeah I've been out there for hours leveling everything trying to get as close to perfection as I can. I won't let her convince me to cut corners to get it done faster! Will get some pavers for the legs when it's time.

I just ran into a bit of discouraging news.. while leveling I noticed an old rotten root about 2 inches in diameter. It's so soft I can just scrape through it while leveling the sand with no resistance at all. There's been a few of these and I have been taking the handle of the shovel and just packing it down and filling with sand, tamping, and moving on. This one just kept pushing down til I hit water at about 4 1/2 feet. The hole ended up being about 4 inches in diameter when I poked around at it until I found solid sand.

Is this anything to worry about? Should I do something other than pack these full of sand? It's only soft in a few spots where these old roots are and most of them only packed down a few inches or so except for the one that went all the way to the water table. I'd like to think that the sand just held it's shape around the roots from when the tree was alive and years later they've left a few tunnels behind.

There is why you should use a plate compactor.

This will help get the base firmly and evenly compacted. As I noted earlier, when you use this, you will be able to find and fill all the soft spots in you base area. I highly recommend going 3' outside your pool walls with the compaction to stabilize the soil even more. I can almost guarantee that you won't have a leg that wants to sink this way.

The hand tamper is what I'm using now. I plan on doing what Charlie suggested when I'm done but I definitely don't have 3' inside the hole on either side. I'll go as far as I can with it. I've only ran into maybe 5-6 of those decayed roots that go straight down and they're all between 1" and 2" in diameter. I just pack them down with the end of the shovel handle, fill them with sand and tamp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.