Clear Hose Keeps Coming Off When Pump Is Turned On

Apr 3, 2008
Morning everyone,

I'm in the middle of opening our pool again this year and for whatever reason I've had the darndest time with the clear hose that runs from the pump to the sand filter (see pic below of hayward sand filter and pump which is what i have)

1202070335_HaywardSW-144AbovegroundSandFilter_Hayward_SW144_.jpg

I had a few questions if anyone could try and shed some light on....

1) We inherited the pool when we got the house and I'e never understood why this one hose is different than all the others. All the rest are 1.5" diameter plastic hoses. What makes this clear one special and why does it need to be used between the pump and the sand filter ?

2) The issue I'm suddenly having this year is that the hose keeps coming off after a few minutes once i start running the pump. I have a 1 clamp on it and even I tried putting some silicon caulk on the inside of the tube and letting it dry for 24 hours to see if that helps but so far no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I might try ? Is the silicon caulk a decent approach ?

3) Also, is there a technical term for this kinda of hose just so I have the lingo right ?

Thanks ahead of time,

Scott

Reinforced vinyl hose. Not sure which material it's made of, likely vinyl. It's used to be more rigid, and to handle the pressure better. Non reinforced May flatten or kink somewhat.

Dumb question, but is the handle set to filter when this happens?

Silicone or any caulk isn't the answer to this problem. Either the clamp/fit is too lose, or you have a significant blockage somewhere. There is a slight possibility the hose is the wrong (slightly too large) size. Does that seem likely from what you can see?

Another issue may be that as these hoses age they can tend to get stiffer making it harder to get a good new seal with the hose clamp. You might want to invest in a new length of hose, you should be able to find this type hose sold by the foot at most hardware stores.

Ike

p.s. heating them up with a hair drier makes them easier to work with. You might even try that with your old hose before clamping it in place.

Reinforced vinyl hose. Not sure which material it's made of, likely vinyl. It's used to be more rigid, and to handle the pressure better. Non reinforced May flatten or kink somewhat.

Dumb question, but is the handle set to filter when this happens?

Silicone or any caulk isn't the answer to this problem. Either the clamp/fit is too lose, or you have a significant blockage somewhere. There is a slight possibility the hose is the wrong (slightly too large) size. Does that seem likely from what you can see?

Thanks for the info. Blockage. I hadn't considered that. I had been able to get a good prime going for a the pump for the few minutes I had it working and was attempting to vaccum the bottom of the pool but I'll check to make sure. And thanks for alleviating my worries about the caulk. I really had no idea if it was hurting or helping the issue at that point and I'm glad to remove it from the possible list of variables. I'll check on the blockage when i get home to see if I can find anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Another issue may be that as these hoses age they can tend to get stiffer making it harder to get a good new seal with the hose clamp. You might want to invest in a new length of hose, you should be able to find this type hose sold by the foot at most hardware stores.

Ike

p.s. heating them up with a hair drier makes them easier to work with. You might even try that with your old hose before clamping it in place.

Yeah.I had wondered the same thing (about the hose being stiffer this year). So I'm glad to know that's a tendency over time. Which is helpful in convincing my logical brain to go get a new hose (part of me kept saying, "why buy a new hose , this hose looks perfectly fine", but again, hadn't considered the stiffness). Thanks to you both for your feedback this morning

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.