Should I replace the sand after clogging the filter?

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
In closing the pool last fall I think I did a really good job of clogging the sand filter. I thought I was going to waste, bypassing filtering, but I must have been incorrect because it stopped moving water after a while and there were a lot of leaves in the pool. We took the multiport off but it was clear. We threw down our toys and went home. Soooo, now comes the time to make some decisions. Do I vaccuum out the old sand and put it back in or replace it?

There is hardly ever a need to replace sand. Fire up the pump and do a good backwash. Then open up the filter and inspect the sand and run a garden hose gently through the sand to clean it and let the gunk spill out.

I'm so sorry everyone, I must be missing something. This is an above ground pool that I totally plogged the filter up with leaves when closing the pool last year. Once I fill the pool up in May with water to "test" the filter, I won't be able to take it apart in case I need to. Is there even a possibility I won't have to remove all the sand to remove all the debris/gunk I filled it with? I figured it would be cement by now.

You don't have valves that you can use to shut off the water supply to the pump equipment? If you have those, you should be able to take apart the filter even with the pool filled.

Are you sure that the leaves made it to the filter? Could some of the leaves gotten into the pump and clogged the impeller?

I'd be thoroughly checking the pump for any problems before removing the sand. If you still think the filter is plugged after checking the pump, you can clean it as jblizzle has suggested.

One question about your pump: Does it have a basket on the inlet? Has that been cleaned?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I removed the basket because I was attempting to just pass the leaves through everything to the backwash hose. Hmmmm, I wounder if it is the pump. We bring it in every year and it's in the basement. Do I need to take something apart to see a problem? It's a 1.5hp dynamo. Ugh.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! The hubby took the pump apart yesterday and the pump was packed with leaves! We would have gone though all the filter rigamarole and come up empty if it hadn't been for you all. Love this place.
hi shelly, do you have a leaf rake?

I use mine during the fall and spring to clean the leaves up so they do not clog the filter.
I do this before I vacuume the bottom silt to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.