Preventing Calcium Carbonate at Water Line?

In The Industry
Feb 7, 2013
Pool Country
Is there any way to prevent calcium carbonate build-up at the water line?

I recently became a sub-contractor for a pool that has an owner that wants a "Scale-Stain Controller" to be added to the pool.

It claims the following:

Absolutely phosphate free formula.
Aggressively prevents and removes scale and stain buildup.
Salt cell de-scaler (without acids), protector and prolongs cell lifespan.
Controls calcium (up to 1,000 ppm) and hard silicates (up to 300 ppm).
Strongly sequesters iron, copper, and manganese metals.
Protects all equipment: filter, heater, water auto-leveler, salt cell, and solar unit.
Provides long lasting protection: pool finish, tile and equipment.

Affordable year-round protection.
Extends life of salt cell generators.
Prevent future costly washing and tile cleaning.
Advanced Synertec formula is both acid-free and phosphate-free.
Chlorine stable multi-polymers lasts for months, not weeks.

It seems like snake oil.

Thanks

The owner wants the water to be balanced and to absolutely prevent calcium carbonate build-up at the water line.

I'm not sure how the latter is reasonably achieved.

Perhaps with "Scale-Stain Controller".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A slightly negative CSI will reduce the buildup, but as noted with wetting and evaporation there will be some buildup of solids. Scale inhibitors might somewhat reduce this only by making the solids less likely to adhere to the surface, but there's no guarantee. There might be some sort of tile sealant that inhibits anything sticking to it, but I'm not aware of specific products that do this.

I think a lot of the issues I had at the waterline were due to broadcasting cal-hypo. Some would cling to the waterline even though I brushed it in with the Wall Whale.
Now if I use cal-hypo I pre mix it in a bucket and put the last little bit into the skimmer, under the skimmer sock as that will deteriorate a skimmer sock.

There will always be buildup at the waterline just due to water evaporation leaving mineral deposits behind ... even if the water is balanced.
This has been my experience as well. I have to deal with very high CH levels and a negative CSI does not seem to be sufficient. I try to keep my CSI around -0.5 for this and the SWG.

But I think the autofill makes it worse because the water line never changes and I get a very distinct line unless I brush the tile every week. Also, it seems to collect more when I use the solar cover than without. Again, I think it has to do with a stable water line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.