AGP Heater Recommendations

Yup, heater size it dependent on the pools volume ... yours is big so you need a big heater to get any kind of quick temperature rise. Also Raypak seems to get much better reviews that the other manufacturers.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the heater? Just a little added heat in the summer or heating it up in the winter?

I am probably the only one here stupid enough to keep a heated 14' Intex pool going year round.....and with electric heat at that!! The way it was/is feasible for me was to put 1 inch of the blue foam insulation around the sides and "float" 1 inch of the blue stuff on the top when the pool isn't in use. I made a pvc stand to hold the sections that float when not in use. All that said, it could be done on your pool that way too (mine always has a cover on it), but it would certainly be on a much bigger scale for yours. You would still need to have alot of heater available when uncovered if the outside temp was say 60 degress or so. My pool stays around 90 degrees so it's warm, but not hot tub warm. Enough to keep kids from getting cold and uncomfortable.

I would say get the biggest heater you can get which is 400K right now. Gas or LP, your choice. Depending on how you use your pool will depend on how bad it will cost to keep using the thing. You will get a feel quickly on how many hours it will take to heat the pool up per degree you want after you use the heater. I tend to put the juice to mine on Friday morning knowing that generally my pool will be used Friday after school, Saturday around noon to around 5pm, then maybe Sunday from around 1pm to 5pm....that's it. Since I am fully insulated, I will let the pool cool until the next week depending on how cold it is.

Good luck!!

Bob E.

I, too, am trying real hard to justify getting a heater for my 9,000 gal AGP in Kansas City. It is sad that it may not be practical. Maybe if I spray foam insulation around the sides. I just want to warm it a few degrees so I can use it in May and Sept.

Get a solar cover and make sure you use it at night! It'll help keep the heat in.

Considering getting a heater down the road for my 30' pool. It is almost 22000 gallons. I was considering the cheap Hayward gas heater( model number H100ID1) but I'm seeing it has gotten terrible reviews. Any recommendations?

You need a min of 200,000BTU to get a 1 deg temp rise/hr in that size pool. As someone mentioned, a 400,000 BTU would be best. That Hayward will only do about 100,000 BTU/Hr

We have a "Heat Siphon" heat pump from US Thermoamp. My impression is that gas heaters are great for getting the pool up to temp in a reasonably quick time (and are preferred by weekenders for that reason) while heat pumps are more economical when it comes to maintaining temperature (possibly better for people who use their pools frequently). It's mostly good for starting the pool up earlier in the spring, when the water is cold, but the air is getting warm. In the fall, it's a nice idea, but we've found that the air just tends to feel awfully chilly going into September (we live in Connecticut). Other than that, we started using a solar cover (and a GLI "whirlwind" reel), and found that the heat pump doesn't run much during the summer. (We've had the pool up to 90 degrees from the solar cover and at that point it's *almost* not even refreshing.) So far, we've had it in for 5 seasons (with a SWG) and have only had a minor part failure on it. They're not cheap, though - you'd probably be looking at $3500-4000 for a model big enough for a 30' pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.