Air in return lines with solar on

May 1, 2010
Brentwood CA
Hi,
I was able to find a few other threads regarding air in the return lines with the solar on and am having that problem. Last year I replaced my old Hayward 1/2 HP pump with the Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump. Everything is working great except I was getting air in the return lines when I turned the solar on this year. The other posts I read said there may not have been enough pressure for a valve to seal so, this is where I don't know enough, I increased the speed and the bubbles disappeared.

The repair guy who installed my pump and cartridge had me at speed 2 and 2350 RPM. When I mentioned the bubbles to him he didn't seem to know what to check. I increased speed 2 to 2450 and the bubbles are gone. This is where I need help. Should I be running the pump at that speed for my size pool and solar panels? I know some of the other threads said to check the VRV but I don't know what that is :(

Any suggestions or recommendations would help me so much!

Thank you,

Does all your water go through the solar or just some of it? How high are the panels above the pump? Did you Google vacuum release valve to know what to look for?

Seems likely that the higher speed is closing off the vrv like you said.

25 feet requires a minimum filter pressure of 11 PSI plus the head loss to the roof which could be a couple more PSI so you are right at the threshold of keeping the VRV closed. Something might have changed in the plumbing so that it dropped the pressure some (maybe the filter). I would just run it at the higher RPM. BTW what is the pressure at the higher RPM?

Mark thank you so much! Before I increased the speed the PSI was right at about 10. Now its running at 15. When I replaced the pump last year I also replaced the filter. The Jandy is a bit bigger than the old Hayward cartridge so would that account for some of the change?

Sounds like I should be fine running at the higher RPM which closed the valve. Is there a threshold for the PSI on the filter that I should be cautious of?

I really appreciate the help:D

Definitely 10 PSI is probably too low and I am not sure why it had worked to begin with although it does depend on the exact height of the VRV relative to the filter pressure gauge.

Given the size of the filter, it could handle full speed just fine so if you ever need to run at full speed you could although there is probably no reason to either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.