Need New Pump And Filter Advice

tbone2

Apr 8, 2014
Hinckley, IL
My first post. Looking to get some advice on replacing an old pump and filter for my setup (see signature).

Just purchased the house last November with an in-ground pool. It was a foreclosure and sat vacant for about 3 years with zero maintenance to the pool (pump and filter out in the open, uncovered). Was hoping I could get the old pump and filter working to at least clean through the sludge. Tried firing it up over the weekend and motor is seized up. Given the state of the pool, don't want to patchwork repair the pump or filter (filter manufactured March 2001, not sure on pump). I would rather get new equipment and hit this project hard if the old pump and filter aren't up to the task.

Basically looking for the best pump and filter setup. Existing plumbing is 2". Pump and filter are ~ 20-30' from intake lines and jet (pump and filter pad is at same level as pool deck). I would prefer a sand filter as I've worked with cartridge filters in the past and found them to be a pain. Open to a DE filter, but haven't dealt with that before. Any help is much appreciated.

I will be starting a thread in the green pool section once I get going, as this one will be pretty interesting. Already pulled out a vintage bike from the shallow end and caught my first fish today!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

No high water flow needs like spa or waterfalls right? If not, then look for a 1HP 2-speed pump ... like the Superflo 1HP 2-speed.

Usually cartridge filters are only a pain if they are too small or if you are not maintaining the chemistry appropriately and get algae starting.
For a pool your size, you will want a sand filter around 29+" in diameter ... smaller would work with your shorter season, but require backwashing more often.
OR 60sqft DE filter or 350 sqft cartridge filter.

You are also going to need to order one of the Recommended Test Kits and since you are starting with a swamp ... get the TF-100 with the XL option and the SpeedStir.

Welcome to TFP !
You've gotten great advice on the pump and filter's.
I just want to repeat the advice on the TF-100 test kit with the XL option and SpeedStir. It's with out a doubt the right tool for cleaning up your swamp.
Make sure you to do some reading in pool school and get yourself informed on the SLAM process which your going to have to do.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
Here are some other good articles to start with.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool
Make sure to post some pic's when your ready to start clearing the swamp !

Got the pump and actually the old sand filter working. Going to start SLAM on Thursday. New problem (or might not be) is we're getting freezing temps overnight for about 10 hours, down to as low at 22 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to get to the low 40's and sunny. Then about 4-8 hours of below freezing Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Should I be concerned with freezing? Besides the next two nights, temps will stay above freezing for the following 8 days and hopefully for the foreseeable future or I'll lose my sanity after this winter we had. .

I've been running the pump to get my 0 CYA reading up so my Chlorine doesn't disappear once I start SLAM. I'm fine letting the pump run, but have had to backwash every 6 hours or so. Moving water obviously is harder to freeze, so that was my thought, but worried about filter pressure as well. Clean filter PSI reading of 10-12 and have been back washing at about 15-16 PSI. The old filter I got working is a Jacuzzi 250L-7. Found an older similar manual, but doesn't address safe PSI levels. Worried if I run the pump and don't back wash for say 10 hours if I'm looking for trouble. I imagine PSI increases exponentially as the filter gets full and starts collecting more/smaller particles.

Plumbing is 1.5". Did some brief browsing of the forums and didn't find a definitive answer or at least something that would put my worries to bed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jbizzle,

Got it. Pressure hasn't changed much the last 5 hours surprisingly... must have gotten the debris earlier in the day from my Sunday brush and leaf net activity. Will back wash before bed to be safe.

Forgot to answer your earlier questions. No external features, just the pool filtration. I looked into the 2 speed pump and ended up going with the Hayward 1HP Super Pump that was here when we bought the place (new of course). While I'm excited about the pool, dealing with a neglected house is using up all the funds and the two speed pump you recommended (and others) are just too much for the budget now. I'll probably regret it later when I get the electric bill, but figured I could upgrade in a year or two and sell the old one on craigslist or something.

I did get the recommended test kit and it came in last week. The SpeedStir rocks after only having tested once. I can see why it's recommended by everyone. I've got stabilizer going to get the CYA up to help keep the chlorine up during SLAM, which starts Thursday.

As I mentioned before I will try to get a thread going in the green pool section. I'm taking photos and trying to track what I'm doing, but I'll probably end up doing a big initial post with the different stages. Tough to keep up daily with work and life. I do know it helps others dealing with this and definitely want to share my process. Heck, I wouldn't be so confident I could get it clear without this forum and others having dealt with similar situations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.