CYA testing

Charlie_R

TFP Expert
May 8, 2013
Mexico, MO
Quick question about water temperature for testing CYA:

I have seen in several threads where it has been discussed about the low CYA readings in cold pool water. At what temperature does this effect become negligible?

It can work at colder water temps, but the reaction is slower so you have to wait longer before actually reading the tube ... easiest to let the water warm up to room temp and do that test last.

The reason I asked, is DW really doesn't want pool testing chemicals in the kitchen, no matter how non toxic they are.

Anyway, it's been too cloudy during the day for a good read, and I'm not sure the work light over my bench would be bright enough (150W halogen work light).

Thanks for the reply!

I can't remember where I read this, but someone said time is the enemy for accurate testing. I think they were referring to pool store testing, though.

So I am assuming through what you and others have posted here that this is not necessarily true.

I'm not losing excessive FC through the day, so I think I haven't lost any CYA over the winter, but it would be a good idea to make sure.

Time is not the enemy for SOME of the tests ... the CH and CYA are not going to change with time (unless you let water evaporate out). The chlorine and pH results will change relatively quickly and thus those should be done right after the sample is taken.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.