Need to renovate equipment - Advice Please!

Max58

Oct 6, 2013
New pool owner and need advice.

Moved into new house last October and had a local service company open pool today. Filter leaks at band and fittings and the pump motor is rusted due to leaks at plumbing joints. System works, but leaking and on last leg. Estimate age of equipment at 15-20 yrs old.

Specs: 31,000 gal Sylvan pool, DE Filter, Hayward 1.5 Hp pump.

House is located in Maryland. Looking for advice on new filter (DE vs Cartridge), advantages of two speed or variable speed pump vs single speed - (Elec. $.10 kWh). I also want to convert to salt water system. It has a pump for a Polaris, but wondering if a robotic pool cleaner is worth it.

As as I am new to the pool thing, not sure where to start or if what I have planned is overkill.

Any advice on what I am planning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The filter type is personal preference: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison

For the filter the bigger the better. General minimum sizes for a pool that big would be a 72sqft DE (maybe bigger) or a 450sqft cartridge ... bigger cartridges are easier to find, I might lean to the cartridge so you are not backwash all your salt out, etc.

Do you have any high water flow needs? water features, spa, etc? If not, then a 1 to 1.5 HP 2-speed pump is what I would recommend. Your electric costs are not high enough to warrant a VS pump.

I would also move away from the boosted cleaner. Robots are the future ;)

For the SWG, we recommend sizing the cell fro 2-3 times the size of your pool ... that is going to put you looking for a 60+k cell and there are not too many manufactures with them that big. Or you could run 2 of the smaller SWGs, but not sure the is more cost effective.

Likely in the short term you could get most of those leaks stopped by checking the lubing the seals on the filter and maybe just redoing the connections to the pump.

Post some pictures if you want more suggestions.

Here are the photos:

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/jp5834/library/

IMG_0228_zpseffd4090.jpg

IMG_0212_zps2c81b72b.jpg

IMG_0211_zps8123c8f6.jpg

IMG_0208_zpsd1d13126.jpg

IMG_0207_zpsef45859f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that would be easy enough to just replace that section of pipe ... 2 threaded couplers, on 90 fitting and 2' of pipe ... likely cost < $10 including the primer and solvent.

The pump itself looks is decent shape, so you may just consider replacing the motor with a 2-speed version ... that is the cheapest route.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if changing out only the motor was a good idea. Any major improvements in the wet end of pumps in the last 10-15 yrs? I don't want to waste money, but I also do not want to cut corners and regret it later on. I'd like to save the $$$ on the pump and use it on the SWG and Filter.

There are not any improvements on the wet end that I think would be worth spending the money on getting a new pump. If you get the same size motor in a 2-speed version, then all you also need is a shaft seal, BUT since the pump is old, it might be worth getting a "go-kit" which includes ALL the seals in the pump. Alternatively, you could get a smaller 1HP 2-speed motor which will be less costly both to buy and run, but in addition to the go-kit you will need a matching smaller impeller (but they are around $20).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.