New filters and new guage for cartridge filter what should be the psi?

Feb 21, 2014
dfw tx
Installed new pressure guage and changed out filters after getting the pool clean with the old filters. Old ones were at 2psi and so are the new ones? What should they normally be at? Waters flowing cleaned pump basket and skimmer not sure why its so low.

The normal filter pressure varies from system to system, depending a a large number of details. You need to figure out what is normal for your system.

2 psi is at the low end of the range for normal pressures, it could be normal or something might be wrong, we have no way of telling without a lot more detail about your equipment setup, pipe run length, pipe size, pump size, etc.

Do you feel strong water movement in the pool? Did you see if there was a blockage in the passage for the gauge?

Please add your pool and equipment details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Mine is also that low, but I have three returns and one is missing an eyeball right now. If I shut off flow to that return, my pressure goes up quite a bit.

How many returns do you have? Are any missing their eyeballs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think the gauge is reading correctly. If you have strong flow and the pressure is actually that low, then the pump would be in cavitation. Plus the plumbing in the pictures does not appear to be a low head loss design although I cannot see all of the pipes. If you have a second gauge, you can put it on the pressure side of the pump drain plug to confirm.

What is the pump model #?

That is a Challenger 1 HP full rated pump. The run out operating point is around 83 GPM @ 40' of head so head loss cannot be less than 40' of head.

If the pressure is only 2 PSI, that is only 5' of head which means that the suction would have to have at least 35' of head but that would put the pump into cavitation. Something must be wrong with the gauge. Remove the gauge and make sure the hole in the end of the gauge is not plugged.

If flow rate was reduced as well, I might suspect a blocked impeller.

Removed guage and checked to restrictions there were none. Wrapped teflon and reinstalled still same 2psi. My skimmer basket isn't working properly its not sucking in the water My neighbors grass got into pool and it goes into the skimmer and then goes right back out. Isn't that one of the signs that something is wrong?

I think the line is clogged somehow since reading online about ubclogging it said that excess air would be in the filter. Every other day I open the relief valve on filter to make sure water comes out and it does after about a minute before that it is a blast of air

So I take out skimmer basket on pump hook up a garden hose onto the hose part and stuff it into suction line with a rag?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.