Overflow drain

Our 20x40 vinyl liner pool has no overflow drain. The rains this week caused me to pump to waste yesterday, then last night the pool completely filled again. I'm concerned that it would overtop if we are gone for a couple of days, and the vinyl liner might have problems. Is it OK to drill a hole in the top of the plastic skimmer and run a line to the waste drain? Does anyone have a good solution for this problem?

That sounds like a good idea to me! No pool is perfectly level, so if it overflows, it's going to start at the low side and turn the already low ground into a mudhole, which will cause it to sink even lower, and so on and so on until you have real troubles.

I know it's been addressed before, but there are literally hundreds of search results, so I'll just go from memory, here. What you want is a bulkhead fitting or a "through-hull" fitting for a boat. You'll never be able to tap threads in the skimmer, so you need something with some gaskets and a compression nut that you can then attach a hose or a pipe to and run it away from the pool to drain somewhere safe. I'd place it as high as reasonable, so you don't have it draining water when the kids set up waves.

BulkheadFittings.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.