Help with chemistry

Mar 30, 2014
Chatom, Alabama
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread to ask your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Borax? You have my attention. Low ph!!!!! I have the intex 5000 gallon pool. JUST put a 1500 filter in. (Had to cut the pool!!) ((Totally worth it, it really sucks. :) )) Ok. I am rural and have well water. We have very low to no ph. I use chlorine tabs in a floater, baking soda, and have used shock when I need it. What is the best way for me to keep the ph correct. I did use baking soda tabs in a floater year before last, but can't find them now. Also, what is the best way for me to keep it chlorinated? Tablets, chlorine bleach, or granulated chlorine. How is the best way for me to test my water? I have strips and the bottle tester. I have had this pool for years, and fought it every summer, and of course no one uses it. I figure now that I have a "real" pump, its got to be easier to keep it clean. Thanks!

Chlorine tablets are made of trichlor, and will constantly lower PH and raise the CYA level. As long as you are using chlorine tabs you should be raising the PH regularly to keep up with their lowering of PH. The best chemical to use with chlorine tabs is soda ash, often sold under names like PH Up, though borax is acceptable.

We recommend using liquid chlorine (same thing as household bleach) for chlorine instead of tablets. When using liquid chlorine the PH will either be stable or go up slightly, instead of constantly going down with tabs.

Not only do test strips lack accuracy, the ranges they suggest are "OK" or "high" are quite inaccurate and ignore the interplay between different factors. And thus, they do not recommend a correct course of action. I ran my pool with test strips for about 5 months before getting a proper test kit and fixing the algae I was developing due to not-quite "high" CYA and "OK" chlorine levels.

Ok. as to using liquid chlorine, how much do I use? My husband says no to the liquid. The company where he works makes chlorine. (wish that we could buy it there :) BUT, he doesn't do the pool. My strips say that my chlorine is high, but the ph is good. I plan on taking it by a pool store and get it tested. None around here. :(

Pool Store testing generally worse that test strips ... not only is it also inaccurate, but also inconsistent AND you have to put up with their high pressure sales pitch on a bunch of junk that at the best you don't need and at the worst will give you even worse problems.

If you do not use liquid chlorine, then you are going to have to test your CYA often and likely replace a significant portion of your water often. Or enjoy a green pool and spend $$$$ at the pool store trying to fix it.

There is absolutely no reason not to use the liquid ... especially if he is not even the one dealing with it.

Keep reading and learning.

Keep in mind the OP's pool is 5000gallons. The best first step is to drain and refill. If you've used tabs more than a handful of times odds say your cya level is too high. A drain will lower and allow for a fresh start. Next find yourself a basic OTO test kit. These test your chlorine and pH level only, but for small pools often this all you'll need to test. Next, add enough CYA (sold as stablizer at walmart) to reach a 40ppm level. Last, add 4cups of bleach to the water.

After each swim test using your kit. Keep the chlorine level around 5 and your pH between 7.2-7.8 at all times. You've got the advantage of being able to easily drain/refill your pool if the chemistry goes wrong. Don't be afraid to use it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668 I bought this before I found the site. I found it to work for my pool. But like many I never new about CYA until I found the site and used up the test up very quickly. But since I bought my TFTestkits TF-100 I would never use anything else. Also if you can get the speed stir it is awesome. I also read pool school over and over again. And still refer back to it many times. But with out accurate test results no one can help you.

I think a big part of the initial aversion to using liquid chlorine (bleach) is that it is mainly marketed as a cleaning solution whereas the tabs and powders in pool stores are marketed as pool sanitizers. When people ask me how I keep the pool so clean, I often get strange looks when I tell them I use liquid bleach. At the end of the day, liquid bleach along with the tabs and powders sold at pool stores and in the pool care section of big box stores are all forms of chlorine. All these forms of chlorine will safely sanitize your pool, but liquid bleach does so with the fewest side-effects (no CYA or calcium build-up).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I strongly agree with all said, first things first best purchase you will make is the TF-100 test kit. The aversion to liquid bleach is unjustified while understandable. I only use BBB bleach baking soda and borax. I live in az my season goes from April- oct sometimes nov if use solar cover. Walmart sells 10% two gallons for $6.47. I buy bulk for my borax and baking soda my entire season costs me about 400.00. Plus my kids swim in an environment that doesn't burn their eyes, bleach out their bathing suits or make them itchy. Can swim with eyes open underwater all day and won't have a sore eye. I feel good about that most of all noting harsh chemical wise is required to have a beautiful pool. Once you read and re-read pool school and get it down you will know what your pool needs less frustration feel more in control. I would never again let a pool store test my water, did one time before I found this site walked out with $600 worth of chems and equipment that only made things worse. Then they were happy to sell me more stuff to fix issues they caused. The TFP site, the BBB method using them I promise you will have a much more relaxed season and can feel good about what your kids are swimming in and the amount of money you will save will shock and amaze you. I would hate my pool if I had not found this site just another aggravation on an endless to do list with little actual time spent enjoying my pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.