Adding a bottom drain line to DE filter

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
All-

Have a 60sqft FNS Plus DE filter. As I'm changing out my pump while I'm having the pool resurfaced, figured I'd take the time to do something I've always wanted to do- add a drain line to the bottom drain plug. It's a standard 1.5" tapered thread, and the plug has got an o-ring on it. I'm assuming the o-ring is there a) because of the pressure involved and 2) because the threaded area is "short" and there's less of a chance of a good seal.

The major issue here is vertical clearance. The most compact combination I can get is with a male-to-slip and then a 90 degree street elbow- but it's still too tall. I need to do more research on specialty connectors online to see if I can make this work. I would rather not have the filter on a raised base simply because of the multiport valve in place and all the plumbing I'd have to re-do.

Any one have success with this? Especially on the connection to the filter base threads- possibly cementing in place?

Since the water will contain de, a smaller diameter is more likely to get clogged up. You should be able to use a 1.5 -inch male adaptor and then glue in a street 90.

Good call on the clogging. Male adapter + street 90, though, is already way too tall unfortunately. What I need is a reducer bushing with npt on the outside and slip on the inside (so basically the male adapter but bushing-style so it's a shorter fitting). Perusing the manufacturer sites as we speak :)

Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.