Question for those who don't close their pool over winter

Apr 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hi, I'm in TX and started using the TFPC method on my pool last year with great results. I didn't close my pool, and other than the annoying part of constantly having to empty the leaves out of the skimmers/cleaner (2x a day in Nov), it went fine.

I did have one issue though, and I wonder if anybody else who doesn't close their pool has the same issue. I was finding that my filter pressure would rocket up to the "need-to-backwash" level all the time over winter. I had to backwash maybe once all summer, but it got to be almost every week in the winter. Obviously all the leaves/organic was putting some stress on the filter, so I guess it makes sense. However, the real issue is replacing the DE. I replaced the DE the first few times, but once I saw it was going to be a regular occurrence, I just stopped, since it would've got costly pretty quick. Anybody else have a similar issue? If so, what did you do about replacing the DE? I figure I'll wait til it gets a little warmer and then I need to do a full filter cleanout anyhow.

FYI - my winter routine: filter/cleaner on 2hrs a day, and I haven't checked the chemicals at all (vs checking them every week in summer). Water is clear and looks fine.

you may end up replacing the grids in your filter. They don't last long without DE on them.

What happens is the fine mesh screens on the grids get loaded with gunk from the water, and are impossible to clean without damaging them.

Yea they need D.E. To work .
i wonder why your pressure keeps going up ? Thats strange.
Might want to take filter apart and inspect your grids and the o-ring on the discharge pipe.
If the grids have any holes or the plastic frame is cracked they need to go.
Put it back together and add the proper. Amount ( see filter manual ) of D.E.
It's really important to add the correct amount .
I only break my filter down 2-3 times a year , so that's just 1-2 box's of D.E.
I don't backwash i just clean the grids with garden hose.
When you backwash you never know what the correct amount of D.E. To add is.
Thats just my opinion......

elanaran,

I maintain my pool in the winter just as you do so I understand the issue pretty well.

I don't think there is an easy solution.

Because DE filters so many tiny, tiny particles, it tends to clog more quickly which, of course, gives you a high psi and the need to backwash.

My first suggestion would be to try skimmer socks and see if the "pre-filtering" they do will reduce the backwash frequency.

Do you run your auto-vac in the winter? That is sort of a "pre-filter" in it's own right and may also reduce the amount of fine particles that are clogging your DE filter.

I am not advocating you do this but the best fix would be a sand filter. Sand filter's don't clog as quickly as DE just by their nature so that would surely help but it may nag you that the sand filter is not removing particles as fine as the DE does.

Yeah I run the cleaner 2hrs a day. I did have the skimmer socks, but I took them off in the winter because I was having to clean the skimmers even more when they were in, but maybe I should've left them in...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

This was our first winter with a pool...we're in Memphis TN. I noticed my pressure gauge on the filter was skyrocketing after our harsh winter. I was panicked that something was terribly wrong. Well...what happened was the extra cold temps (we had a very cold winter for our area) broke my pressure gauge and it was reading way high.

Bought a new gauge from the pool store for 12 bucks...screwed it on...readings look normal now. Before you go too far down the line with expensive repairs I would recommend changing out your gauge first. They're cheap..and apparently they break all the time. The guy at the pool store said you were lucky to get much more than 2 or 3 seasons out of one.

Hope this is your problem...

Well I don't think the gauge it's broken because it'll read normal levels after backwashing.

I think, after hearing everyone's advice, what's really needed is to open it up and give the grids a good cleaning.

Anybody have any good videos for opening/closing DE filters? (Would be great if it was my brand too)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I don't think the gauge it's broken because it'll read normal levels after backwashing.

I think, after hearing everyone's advice, what's really needed is to open it up and give the grids a good cleaning.

Anybody have any good videos for opening/closing DE filters? (Would be great if it was my brand too)

I JUST did mine this past weekend and took a lot of pictures to create a tutorial, unfortunately, it is not finished up and ready to post yet. When are you thinking of tackling this?

EDIT: Here is some information about DE filters, by tutorial will focus on the breakdown and cleaning, although you may need to do some of the soaking since your grids are likely clogged up now: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3853-Use-and-care-for-DE-filters

I agree with Duraleigh, Skimmer Socks! It is your choice, either clean the socks or clean the filter.

My filter is a canister and so breaking it open to clean is a pain and not something I would ever do in winter. So for me the choice is easy - skimmer socks. Even with daily cleaning. And if you up-end the skimmer basket in a bucket of water to clean the fine bits off then at least you start out a bit cleaner and perhaps that will let you only clean once a day at the worst of it.

For you, the ease of backwashing may say that doing that is best for you, although I might worry about the water usage. Having been at a few Water Use presentations here in Houston lately I am stunned by the shape the state is in regards to water resources and ANY water that is saved is precious.

At this point, it seems that you have good advice regarding the need to keep adding DE, I don't know much about that.

The owners manual for you filter should have tear down instructions , if you don't have it , most of them are on line , check the MFG's website.
It is really easy .. After a few times you can get it to 20-30 minutes.
Basic instructions.
1. Always backwash and rinse serveral times first.
2. remove band.
3. Remove top
4. Unscrew nut on top of manifold
5. Remove manifold
6. Remove Grids
7 clean all pcs with garden hose only , never use high pressure like a power washer . Its bad for the grids
8. Inspect all pcs for wear/ damage.

Put the grids in the manifold and complete the manifold assembly
Install the complete assembly
Tighten band and torque to mfg specs see manual for your filter this is important. Some are different.
Add D.E. , i make a slurry in a 5gal bucket, some just dump the powder in the skimmer, either way use proper amount of D.E see manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hm, I have a ratchet wrench set, but I've never noticed the torque rating...
Do NOT just torque the nut or you may break it. I get mine seated using very little force by alternating tightening the nut and tapping around the clamp with a rubber mallet.

I have my tutorial done, although I need to get an admin's help because I have too many pictures :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.