Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm not done am I ? :)

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm not done am I ? :)

I'm almost sure I know the answer to this question but I just want someone to confirm my suspicion. Been gearing up for a nice pool party / 4th of july get together. Just got the pool to be clear again. My levels are as follows :

CYA : 35
    ALK : 100
    PH : 7.2
    CHLORINE : 10

Seems that almost every day I add enough to get to 19ppm chlorine but when i check at the end of the day it's usually back down to about 10-12. Before I go running out to get more chlorine, I just wanted to be sure this is a good indication that I still have algae in the pool ? Is that correct. I swear I read on the site that the averae you should lose per day is about 2ppm of chlorine. And I assume that's no matter what time of year. Should I be dumping more chlorine in until I get it to only change 2ppm per day ?

Thanks again TFP!

Scott
    sbelgrave @ Westminster, MD
    Size : 16 x 32 x 4
    Volume : 12,000 Gallons
    Material :Vinyl
    Water Type : Non-Saltwater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm not done am I ? :)

Daytime chlorine loss doesn't really tell you much. With CYA around 35 you should expect to lose more than 50% of your chlorine over the course of a sunny day.

Overnight chlorine loss indicates algae or other organics in the pool. Test the FC level in the evening and again first thing in the morning. If the two levels are the same, or within 1.0 of each other, then you have gotten all the algae and can stop shocking.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow . Had no idea you could expect so much loss during the day. Thanks Jason.

Scott

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, I should ask, is there a more optimal level of CYA I should try being at ?

5. Back To Top    #5

I recommend CYA between 30 and 50. You might want to try out the higher end of that range. It isn't really any more "optimal", but it will use a little less chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey there Scott-

I notice your sig- I'm from Westminster TOO!!!! (Actually west of town towards T.Town)

Small world huh?

Hope all went well with your Party and the pool is still clear!!
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

7. Back To Top    #7

hehe. Thanks . And yes. It went quite well. I can't believe that all this time I thought that the brown stuff on the floor was "dirt" when it was dead algae. A few days of chorinating and brushing and it went away with out any use of a vaccuum etc. We're actually over in a house off of Murkle Rd. if you know where that is.

Scott