How to add CYA?

TreeFiter

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jul 2, 2012
Saugerties, NY
Please always start your own thread, thanks. :wink: Butterfly

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a reason for adding CYA through a sock hanging in front of a return? I've always poured it into a skimmer slowly.

Re: Liquid Stabilizer vs Dry

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a reason for adding CYA through a sock hanging in front of a return? I've always poured it into a skimmer slowly.

If you do it that way it gets hung up in the filter and takes longer to dissolve. Could also get back washed out. The sock method is the preferred method. ?

I usually just add some pucks to the floater when the CYA is low but on the few occasions I added it from the bag, I just slowly poured it into the skimmer. I have a cartridge filter and have never had any issues dosing it this way. I would be reluctant to simply broadcast it because it does not seem to dissolve too well and I would worry that it would sit on the bottom and bleach/stain the surface.

Supposedly you don't want to rinse you filter for a couple days after you add CYA (because it takes a while to dissolve) so if you're due for a filter cleaning then do that first.

Just added 8 lbs. this way and it was gone in an hour.

You have in-floor cleaners, which keep the acid from sitting on the floor. However, most people do not have in-floor cleaners.

In any case, I don't think that broadcasting cyanuric acid is a good method. I don't think that it is a method that should be presented as an acceptable option.

Reactions: DavidArmenB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I broadcast the CYA once, and my Polaris collected it all in its little bag. Poor thing was so heavy it was falling over on its side.

Now I get the more expensive liquid CYA.

The granular stabilizer is just as good and cheaper. You have to add it the right way. The sock, knee high method in front of a return is the preferred method.

I will note that different brands of CYA dissolve differently. I found the brand from Walmart, HTH, was super fast to dissolve. In comparison the brand from the pool store (name not recalled) was super hard and took quite a long time to dissolve. The HTH was almost fluffy compared to the hard rocks of slower dissolving sort.

I will note that different brands of CYA dissolve differently. I found the brand from Walmart, HTH, was super fast to dissolve. In comparison the brand from the pool store (name not recalled) was super hard and took quite a long time to dissolve. The HTH was almost fluffy compared to the hard rocks of slower dissolving sort.

Was there a difference in the size of the granules?

I've had the same experience. If I recall correctly, the Walmart HTH brand seemed to be more "flake like", for lack of a better term.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.