Anybody else's cat ever fall into their pool?

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
Cat did the funniest thing. I was at the swimming pool testing the water. She leaps onto the edge then steps onto the solar cover, which moves. So her front end is on the solar cover, her back end in the water. She manages to get all the way onto the cover, goes closer to the middle, lays down and starts mewing piteously. Unfortunately, I did not have my phone so couldn't take a picture. I got the poor, wet feline by convincing her to start walking towards me while I pulled the cover to me - I wasn't wearing my suit! :)

Ours fell in once last year. He swam around out of necessity, but certainly didn't enjoy it! We pulled him out and dried him off, and then noticed how much softer his fur was after the incident.

Our first cat fell into the pool but it was near the end of her life (she was 18-1/2 years old at the time) and though I got her out right away I think she had a stroke since she became temporarily blind over the next day or two and she died a couple of weeks later. She was definitely in the last stages of her life before the incident since we had to give her subcutaneous fluids daily for weeks prior to her falling in the pool. Nevertheless, the poor kitty didn't deserve to have such a shocking experience. She was a wonderful cat. After a couple of years, we got two kittens who are now full grown cats and neither has gotten in to the pool.

Our first cat fell into the pool but it was near the end of her life (she was 18-1/2 years old at the time) and though I got her out right away I think she had a stroke since she became temporarily blind over the next day or two and she died a couple of weeks later.

Awww, so sorry for your loss. We had a squirrel that used to drink out of our pool. He was sickly and one day I came home to find him in the pool. By the time I got the net and scooped him out, it was too late and he had died. I wonder if he "fell" in the pool on purpose. As Anonapersona mentioned, maybe your cat knew the end was near?

We only take our cats out on harness and leash, so thankfully they've never gotten in the pool.

Did you ever wonder if she was attempting to commit suicide? Often old and ailing critters will go away to die alone.

In this case I think it was an accident since she was just cutting a corner too close around the pool where she stepped onto the somewhat wet tile that is roughly at pool level and is the "ledge" that the pool cover goes over to get rolled into the submerged pool cover vault. She slipped and fell in. I don't think it was intentional, though you are right that cats do often go away to die alone. In her case some weeks after the fall when she got so frail that she seemed to be near the end we had her on her favorite blanket with favorite toys and items around and she passed away overnight.

Our cats are mostly indoor cats and we only let them outside in our yard under "supervision". The pool has an automatic pool cover, but when we let the cats out one of us is usually using the pool so the cover will be open.

I opened our back door one winter night and scared a stray cat who hung a left, jumped the rail and ran full speed into the frozen pool. It sounded like glass breaking when that cat hit the cover. It was screaming and clawing it's way out over the side. lol

Our cat has fallen into the bath tub a few times (unfortunately the bathtub was full of water and a person at the same time) and because of this avoids all bodies of water larger than her water bowl ... She actually will not even hang out on the deck close to the pool ... I am pretty sure she would shred the liner or cover!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.