Pool Expertise needed!

Brenna

Jan 28, 2014
Hi All,

We have been interviewing pool contractors for 2 months and I can't seem to sort through all the bids/conflicting information.

We are looking to build a pretty standard saltwater 32x16 with 7x spa, 2 waterfall features, 50 linear feet of stacked stone, 800ft acid washed deck, hybrid pump, 400,000 btu heater, filter (sq ft varies greatly between bids).

We have several large protected oak trees in our yard so the best cleaning system is hotly debated between contractor ranging from auto pool covers, inexpensive vacuums, in floor cleaners.

Bids range from 56k (this guy does a million pools a year and some people love him, some people hate him) to 88k (this guy drove a BMW and was fantastic on all levels) with high 60's being where most are landing.

To my questions.

What do you think the best system is for handling acorns & oak leaves?

The contractor we are leaning toward made a huge show of noting that they use #4 in pool bond beam and a minimum of 4 return lines. Important or just sales tatic?

These guys are at $61k for the basics of what we want. They options they recommend are below....would love any thoughts on the cost/value of each/all.
Quickclean in-floor cleaning system ($5500 extra). They say this is the best way to address the trees. Better than cover as I will have to clean the cover before opening.
Pebble Finish (approx. $2400 additional)
Total Control system (approx. $2900 extra) read some older negative reviews here.....but recent replies seem to be better.

If I add all, we are over $70k. Oy. I can do it financially but it takes up any allotment for unforeseen issues.

Lastly, this contractor has been in business for 20 years but have very little info about them online (3 yelps reviews, nothing on Angie's list) but I like them. The others have lots of good reviews on line and some have personal friends that have used them but those guys haven't followed up on any of our conversations or revised bids without asking multiple times or even returned calls without me having to call multiple times.....what is more valuable - good reviews or guys that show up on time and follow up as expected?

Wow! I have a lot on my mind....its all so confusing A plastic kiddie pool from target would be so much easier.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Brenna

I don't recommend in-floor cleaning unless you constantly have dust blown into the pool. In floor systems are less energy efficient and tend to require maintenance. Lots of leaves argues for extra skimmers and pump run time spread out across the 24 hour period in numerous relatively short periods. Auto covers don't really help with leaves/acorns because you still have to remove the leaves/acorns from the cover before opening the cover.

"#4 in pool bond beam and a minimum of 4 return lines" both nice, but not especially important.

I really don't recommend a Total Control system. They cost more and often don't work. A standard SWG is just as easy to use, costs less, and is more reliable.

Get recommendations from anyone you are seriously considering and check them out. Sales people not following up is tricky, certainly a bad sign, but it may just be the sales person and not predict what the build person will be like to deal with.

I realize you said the trees are "protected" but can you thin them by maybe 25%? This will help cut down on the acorns and leaves.

You don't have your location listed, but in hurricane prone areas, this is a really wise thing to do to prevent tree damage from wind.

Thanks Jason! Might have saved 10 grand there.

They did offer and autopilot nano salt chlorination system.........is that a swg? Sorry for my ignorance.

And we plan to trim tree as much as possible. Currently cover 3/4 of pool area. Hope to get them back to 1/4 or more. We are in so cal so no hurricanes. Just earthquakes.

Thanks all!

You really should give us a general location. Locals can chime in with their experience.

My yard is treeless but the neighbors have towering pines and a couple post oaks. I'm able to get by with an electric robotic cleaner weekly.

My sister has water oaks and live oaks surrounding her pool. It's a constant battle with a pressure powered pool cleaner.

Brenna,

Here is a helpful section from Pool School. It will help us to help you if the info is available in your posts:

Please put the city and state in which you live in your profile. Your climate is important to the advice you receive.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the size pump in HP. Also mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Please keep your signature to 5 lines or shorter. Everything above can be stated quit compactly. For example:
19K gal, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.