New TF-100 with numbers

hlemon

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2008
I got my TF-100 today (insanely fast shipping Dave!)

This is my first test so I could have screwed up:

ph: 7.3
FC: 3.5
CC= no color change, 0.0?
TC= 3.5
TA= 160
CYA= 20
CH= 300

My water is a little cloudy and isn't as "sparkly" as it was before. I backwashed my filter and it looked pretty gross. Could that have caused my cloudy water or do I need to shock? I will admit that I have been trying to maintain it with a store bought test kit until I got my TF-100, and I have trouble telling the difference between the color graduations. My last TC reading from the pool store was almost zilch, but I have since added a lot of bleach per the pool calculator.

Just want to stay on top of it.

Given your test numbers, I wouldn't worry about a little dullness unless it sticks around for a couple of days or gets worse. If it turns into an actual cloudiness you will need to do something.

I would raise CYA up to the 30-50 range.

Your TA is a little high, but not a big deal. If you see the PH rising rapidly you will want to lower TA, otherwise don't worry about it.

I have an entire bucket of pucks left ($80 :grrrr: ) from before I decided to try BBB. I guess, since my CYA is low anyway, and my TA is a little high, that I could go ahead and use them and get rid of them now?

Did I get that right?

My water is still cloudy, but my numbers are looking fine.

If you add calcium and soda into your water at the same time, how long should it take for the cloudiness to clear up. That's the only other thing I think it could be since I am not losing an excessive amount of Ch overnight.

Thanks again

hlemon said:
I have an entire bucket of pucks left ($80 :grrrr: ) from before I decided to try BBB. I guess, since my CYA is low anyway, and my TA is a little high, that I could go ahead and use them and get rid of them now?

Did I get that right?

I see no one chimed in. Yeah, I suppose you could....keep a close eye on things tho and stop at the earliest point.

hlemon said:
My water is still cloudy, but my numbers are looking fine.

If you add calcium and soda into your water at the same time, how long should it take for the cloudiness to clear up. That's the only other thing I think it could be since I am not losing an excessive amount of Ch overnight.

Thanks again

Hard to say..... When you say your numbers are fine, do you not want to share? LOL

Losing an excessive amount of CH or FC?

Some on here have been reporting anywhere from several days to a week or 10 days or longer, if they aren't following protocal exactly....

using the trichlor until your CYA gets to where Jason recommended is an excellent idea. Adding calcium and soda at the same time is a recipe for cloudy water! Other than dropping your pH to about 7.0 not much you can do except wait for it to filter out. Have you tried schocking to see if that helps the cloudiness? If it's a nascent algae bloom because of your low CYA (which can allow pockets of underchlorinated water in sunlight) then shocking can take care of it. Worth a try and really won't hurt anything except some swim time since you will need to wait for the FC to drop below 10 ppm before swimming.

Losing an excessive amount of CH or FC?

I'm sorry. I meant to type FC. :oops:

That's what I'm thinking. Just before checking for responses I was on the pool calculator looking to see how much bleach to buy at wallyworld this afternoon. My FC had gotten really low while I was waiting on my TF-100.

I need to run another full test this afternoon. Will post my new numbers.

Speaking of which, is it just me or does anyone just feel smarter after testing with the TF-100??? :lol: I feel like a licensed chemist!

**making mental note to pick up a new lab coat with bleach at wallyworld**

hlemon said:
.... is it just me or does anyone just feel smarter after testing with the TF-100??? I feel like a licensed chemist!

........does a mad scientist qualify? :shock: :lol: Not only do I feel smarter, I know I have saved lots of $$$$$!!

The sense of control you now have over your water chemistry is a great feeling!

....now, where is my robe, I mean lab coat!...

jjparrish said:
hlemon said:
.... is it just me or does anyone just feel smarter after testing with the TF-100??? I feel like a licensed chemist!

........does a mad scientist qualify? :shock: :lol: Not only do I feel smarter, I know I have saved lots of $$$$$!!

The sense of control you now have over your water chemistry is a great feeling!

....now, where is my robe, I mean lab coat!...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: Is there a hidden camera in my kitchen....?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am SO glad I'm not the only one!!! 8)

Sorry that took so long. I used the kit and then called MENSA about a new membership! :lol:

FC= 3
CC= 0
pH= 7.3
TA= 170
CA= 270
CYA= 30

OK- I know that my TA is very high. And I DID add soda and calcium at the same time the other day (I know I shouldn't have but you just can't read ALL of these threads in a couple of days). I think that my CYA number isn't true because it tested at 20 just the other day and I've only added 3 tri pucks to the pool since then. Also, I added quite a bit of bleach this morning and after about 8 hours of full sun, I'm back down to 3. I think it just tested higher because my water is so cloudy???

We are going to a party at someone elses pool for the 4th, so I will probably shock tonight after I can drag the last screaming kid out of the pool tonight, but I also wondered if I should vaccumm to waste and try backwashing my pump again (I don't think my pressure gage works)??

It's just painful. One week ago I would have sworn that my pool was filled with evian.

I'm not sure what to tell you, as far as backwashing...I have read that dirty sand filters better...? You can try shocking I think it's just going to take time, I mean your numbers look fine, it could just be one of those things, ya know? If y'all have been swimming, all that stuff is stirred up. Consider letting it settle to the buttom and vacuming to waste (if it will settle). Backwashing and vacuming to waste will mean water replacement which will lower your cya, fyi, btw (what other abbreviations can I throw in)

Enjoy the 4th, relax!

hlemon said:
Sorry that took so long. I used the kit and then called MENSA about a new membership! :lol:
Don't bother, most of their members would not be able to use the kit! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I know this because I've been in MENSA since college! :shock: :)

Oh man, Waterbear! Don't go shattering my MENSA dreams!

A girl has to have dreams...... :lol:

BTW- shocking and running the filter 24/7 worked. We are starting to clear up. Thanks guys, hope you had a good 4th!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.