Question on landscape lighting.

Nov 13, 2013
Pearland, TX
Ok so I'm having electrical done next week and I wanted to stub out something so I could do some landscape lighting behind the pool at a later date. Figure I should do it now since ground is already dug up.
I was thinking maybe I could purchase the Jandy Landscaping LEDs and run off the remote control

1. What exactly do I need to do this? Stub out electrical outlet behind pool? Conduit?

2. Should I do this now or later?

3. What is a ball park figure to do this ?it would be about a 35ft run from equipment pad to behind pool.

Thanks all any help/opinions are greatly appreciated

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

If it were me, I would have them install conduit from wherever the Control Panel will be (equipment pad I presume), to a central location behind the pool.

Stub it up and put a small junction box on top of the conduit and install the power cable from the equipment location to the J box. Leave a couple of feet cable coiled up inside the J box.

If you do this, then when its time to install the lighting, all you have to do is run the cable from the lights to the junction box and connect the wires.

Depending on how many lights you intend on installing, you may require 2 (or more) transformers but I assume you have done, or are doing your homework about that. If so, run a power cable for each transformer to the J box.

During electrical, we made sure to have additional electrical outlets installed at our equipment panel because that was a good location for the low-voltage landscape lighting transformer as well (plus one for a fountain, one for the robot, etc.) We're having some lights cemented onto the top of our retaining wall, just before the cap is put on. Aside from those two things, DH and I will be doing all the wiring and running of the low-voltage lights ourselves. Make sure to research how far from the pool edge the lights should be to be safe and to code. I think it's 10 feet. For us, I'm think some of the lights that will be cemented into the wall may not be quite 10', but since they will be cemented permanently into the wall, I'm not so worried about it and am not sure if there is a different code for the permanently installed light. We're waiting for our lights to be delivered next week, in fact.

At our old house (no pool), we ran 90% of our landscape lighting about 6" below the surface in the flower beds just inside the edging. There was one part of the lawn where it had to cross to get to the next bed, and for extra safety, we slid the wire through a PVC pipe and buried it, just to be careful in case sometime in the future someone dug vigorously for a new flower bed or drain or something there.

As far a pre-doing anything for the process, I'd just make sure the outlet(s) gets installed. Our bobcat operator managed to break the pre-laid conduit for our pool lights THREE SEPARATE times during work on our pool. Electrician was not happy. When you get to the point of actually doing your pool, you can figure out if you will need conduit laid under the deck to get it to different parts of the yard, but the time to do it will be after they start destroying the yard. Good luck!

I installed a transformer near our pad and then installed landscape lighting at a later date - put on a timer w/ a light sensor and it's been fire and forget ever since. The key is to make sure you have conduit to run the cables - and as above, they can be direct burial if needed. I ran a few conduits - one to my pergola and one under the slab and a couple to some planting beds. Look at landscapelighting.com for technical info - great place to start (and finish). If you use LED's, voltage drop and line loads will not be as much of a problem. I also used zones to be able to add lights at a later date with ease - keeps the splices above ground as well. Did it all myself and cost was probably in the $1500 range for everything -cable, tools, transformer, lights, bulbs.

Thank you all for the great ideas/advise!

I'm considering of just adding another electrical plug by the equipment pad then running my landscape lighting from here (bury the line) vs. having a conduit built.

Electrical is suppose to be done tomorrow, I will talk to the guy about junction box and conduit. willing to pay $100- 150

Ok so electrical guy came out today and we settled on a price of$395 to make the run for a gfci outlet behind the pool so I could use for landscape lighting.

It was a little more than I wanted to pay but I was ok with it.

The run was 52 ft because of code electric has to be at least 10ft from pool. I will snap some pics when complete.

zebyjatu.jpg

Ok so doing some research on the internet seems Volt lighting keeps popping up on all the search engines. Does anyone have any experience with Volt landscap lighting. Fixtures seem to be high end. Should I consider buying from here or just go to home depot and buy a boxed set? Is there a real diffrence in quality when it comes to landscape lighting?

http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/Low-Voltage-Landscape-Transformers-s/31.htm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not Home Depot. That's middle of the road at best. If you're gonna do the work, spend a little extra so it lasts. I love volt. Sisi my entire backyard. Very happy with their products.

On our PB's recommendation, we did LED bulbs in VOLT fixtures and transformer for the lights we've put in. We are still under construction so haven't really gotten the full effect of seeing them in action, but we tested each one out in our living room and they seemed heavy duty and nice quality. I had one light that the lens was stuck on so I had to get clever with a Freebirds Burrito club card to get it open to install the bulb, but otherwise all good. Some of the metal finish looked a little worn/rubbed, minor scratches, but I figured they wouldn't be pristine outdoors for long so didn't worry about it. Shipping was fast. I didn't have great luck with talking to their service dept about the planning stage, but called a different time and got someone more knowledgeable. I did order the main direct burial line to wire things together off Amazon instead of from VOLT because their spool was 250 feet and I only need 100. Didn't want an extra 150 feet hanging out in my shed until the end of time.

Last night the electrician was doing some more work out there and he came and commented about the lights we'd had installed in the retaining wall, asking if they were VOLT and saying how nice they were, that he uses all VOLT for his jobs and highly recommended it.

Correct. Brass. They have some copper painted and solid copper as well. The cast lights are awesome but super expensive. I think brass will last. Mine have held up very well but only 1.5 yrs in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.