Intelliflo versus Ecostar

Apr 17, 2013
Kansas
I've read back through this comparison before on here.

It seems most favor Pentair Intelliflo VS over Hayward Ecostar, even though efficiency tests show Ecostar a clear winner, at least, from the settings used in the test:

3450 RPM
Intelliflo: 97 GPM, 2720 Watts, 2.14 Gallons/Watt-hr
EcoStar: 98 GPM, 2324 Watts, 2.53 Gallons/Watt-hr

1000 RPM
Intelliflo: 30 GPM, 140 Watts, 12.86 Gallons/Watt-hr
EcoStar: 28 GPM, 90 Watts, 17.5 Gallons/Watt-hr

Sounds great for Ecostar, but I also read their lowest speed to be 1000 RPM, while Intelliflo can slow to 600 RPM. If that is true, and since these are programmable pumps, if your pool is small enough to turn over quick enough, wouldn't you run the Intelliflo at 600 RPM (unless your heater or SWG required more flow)?

It seems the 600 RPM speed would make a gigantic impact on efficiency... just running the pump longer.

I have a 26k gal pool, and am trying to design all new mechanics. So I know I also have to consider what I will use to auto control the pump when picking brands.

It seems like (if I figure right) I could get about 1 complete turnover in 24 hours at 600 RPM with the Intelliflo. Is 1 turnover sufficient in the Kansas summer heatwave climate with a SWG?

Anyone have advice here?

The power draw differences are less significant than they appear, since we are measuring by cost and much of the cost is upfront. IntelliFlo also has a longer history, having been released earlier. EcoStar is building up a history now, but when new was more of a risk than the IntelliFlo just because of it's newness.

These days the most important difference between them is in which automation systems they interface with, with all other factors coming out fairly close to even. There are also newer pumps that are more attractively priced and possibly even exceeding both of these in efficiency, but for now have the disadvantage of being new and thus unknown.

Thanks for your responses... and for that link. Makes sense.

Is there any other pump brand I should consider?

I'm thinking both of these pumps will be good choices, with a slight edge to the Intelliflo. Perhaps I should pick my controller interface and then go with that company's pump?

I'm showing you all the list of equipment I've been considering until now. I discussed these choices with Pentair and it is what they advised on. I'm just trying to get my pool operating this summer, then next summer may add a water feature and perhaps even a spa. I'm finishing off the pool development with quartz flagstone all around the pool, including edging over the water. I haven't heard anyone having an erosion problem with salt on quartz. Anyone know?

Pentair IC40 IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator Sanitizer
Pentair Stainless Steel MasterTemp Grey/Almond Heater 0-2999 Altitude
Pentair Quad 80 Cartridge Style D.E. Filter with Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Tank, 80 Square Feet, 160-GPM
Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, 230-Volt, 16-Ampere
Pentair Personality Pool Kit with Intellitouch i9+3 and 8 Auxileries
Pentair Intellitouch Load Center for Pools with IntelliChlor Transformer
Pentair Screenlogic Interface & Wireless Connection Kit - 522104
(2) Pentair IntelliBrite® 5g Color LED Pool Light, 120V, 100' Cord (600102) now (601002)
(2) Pentair PacFab 3-Way Valve 2.5"SPG x 2" S 263028
Pentair 261055 2-Inch Multiport Valve Replacement Pool/Spa D.E. and Sand Filter

Are all these products good and sound choices for my application? I've never built a complete pool setup before but it seemed logical to keep it all from one company in hopes it can be controlled better.

One thing that I wonder about is running a SWG through their water heater. Will the erosion impact it quickly?

I'd like to be able to control the pool (and perhaps future spa), water features and pool lights, and surrounding lights all from my iPad. In theory, my future spa could loop through the same heater and use the same VS pump, using auto valve actuators controlled from my iPad.

I realize the future is here... but I also realize that theory and reality don't always match. Any advice would be well appreciated.

You will get a longer warranty (3-years) if you stick with a single company.

In Kansas, the Intelliflo will likely have a higher lifetime cost than a two speed. Plus you need to include the cost of lightning/surge protection which can be quite expensive. Without that you could end up replacing the pump quite frequently.

One thing that I wonder about is running a SWG through their water heater. Will the erosion impact it quickly?
SWGs are plumbed AFTER the filter so that should not be an issue.

There are significant advantages to getting equipment of all one brand, not the least of which is that you usually get a longer warranty.

There are no problems using standard SWG salt levels with a heater. There is perhaps a slight risk using salt with a flagstone deck, though it depends on your climate. The more arid/dry your climate, the more risk there is. The risk also varies with the hardness of the rock, which can be over a fairly wide range for different kinds of flagstone. Softer rocks are more vulnerable.

That looks like a reasonable set of equipment, perhaps a little higher end than some people would pick. Unless your pool is quite small I would get a larger size of the same filter. Larger filters are just slightly more efficient and can go longer between backwashing/cleaning, which is always nice.

Sharing the pump between the pool and the spa is quite common, and easily controlled through the IntelliTouch.

"SWGs are plumbed AFTER the filter so that should not be an issue. "

But the salt content in the water running through it is what I'm worried about. Several people with SWG experience has warned me about corrosive issues on anything metal, even stainless steel.

Quartz is one of the harder, less porous stones available for paving. I can't imagine it will be a problem... but I want to be certain before I make such a big investment.

Any advice on the best surge/lightning protection?

Salt at common SWG levels will not damage any metals commonly used in pools or pool equipment in the US. It can damage lower grades of stainless steel, which are used once in a while by low end suppliers trying to cut corners, but that is getting very uncommon as SWGs are becoming more common.

Heaters with copper heat exchangers (fairly common) can be damaged by higher levels of salt, say ocean water levels (35,000 ppm), but not by levels around 3,000 to 4,000 ppm commonly used with SWGs.

Quartz is just fine with SWG levels of salt. But "quartz flagstone" often only contains small amounts of quartz and lots of some other kind of softer stone. Flagstone is a kind of catchall category used to refer to stone that is easy to split into sheets, most commonly sandstone, but possibly any of several other kinds of stone. Relatively pure quartz is not at all easy to split into sheets. "Quartz" in this context is going to refer to quartz inclusions, which will have a large impact on the appearance, but will not determine the response of the stone to salt.

Thanks, Jason!

I'm not sure of the level of quartz in my flagstone. I've been paving with it on the front side of house... porch and partial driveway. It doesn't seem to be the least bit porous and it is extremely hard... a bit brittle, but hard. It's held up very well with big trucks driving on it. The color is blue and sparkles like a quartz. It is called quartz... but I'm sure you are correct.

Here is a photo of the same stone I installed in my front sidewalk:

Flagstone.jpg

Thanks, Jason!

I'm not sure of the level of quartz in my flagstone. I've been paving with it on the front side of house... porch and partial driveway. It doesn't seem to be the least bit porous and it is extremely hard... a bit brittle, but hard. It's held up very well with big trucks driving on it. The color is blue and sparkles like a quartz. It is called quartz... but I'm sure you are correct.

Here is a photo of the same stone I installed in my front sidewalk:

View attachment 28261

I used the quartz flagstone and it holds up very well. Now if you ask me would i use it again, Absolutely not! The problem is its a non porous hard stone which doesn't allow the grout to bond to it very good. This means the grout lines over time will not bond good to it and will start cracking and chipping causing you flagstone to become loose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.