Outdoor Toilets?

Jan 17, 2014
Hi All - We are just finishing up our pool and have came to the realization that our bathroom situation is going to be a BIG problem. From the pool area, you literally have to walk through the whole house to get to the bathroom and given we live in the country, things tend to be a little dusty, so dust plus wet/damp feet = a huge mess in the house with every bathroom visit. We have a well house thats close to the pool that we "may" be able to fit some kind of small toilet into to provide a little privacy. Theres water and power in there, but no access to our septic system without major trenching expense. I know pretty much nothing about toilets and what are the options on the market these days, but was hoping to get some advice from you good folks. I think we can limit it to #1 to keep it easy if that makes the solution much easier. I've even thought about putting a little wall up somewhere with some gravel/drainage for the boys and just extending the country theme "Pee outside!", but given that doesn't solve the issue for the ladies I was hoping to find a better solution all around.
Thanks all,
JD

There are all kinds of "chemical' toilets available at most sporting goods stores. Used to have one in a small camper. The chemicals break down light weight TP designed for them and kill odors. Most have a push button type of flush-then a pump to refill the bowl. (Note: I never said emptying one was any fun!)

About a hundred bucks or so should do you.

(boys go behind the fence here and I'm in town!) Good fences make good neighbors!

Ye Ole standby.

images

Or maybe portable.

images

Sorry, but you had to know these would pop up.

Check out composting toilets also, there are various types designed for off grid cabins, etc. Some look like a conventional toilet in the bathroom, and have a gravity fed composting tank below, others look more like something you would expect to see on an airliner.

Composting toilets work really well -- I know a few people who use them as their primary toilets after their septic systems failed and new regulations wouldn't allow them to put in a new drain field.

Before my brother-in-law's house was built he put together an outhouse with a tiny little septic system, basically a few feet of 6" PVC pipe buried horizontally underground acting as the tank followed by a few feet of perforated drain pipe going into a gravel bed. Don't think he included any way to clean out the "tank" but the idea was that the house would be finished (along with a "real" septic system) before that became a problem. Worked fine for light use -- a few people coming up on the weekend.

The outhouse is now used for storing flammables well away from the big shed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.