How long do pool test chemicals last?

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
How long do pool test chemicals last? Specifically I am wondering about R-0013, the CYA Reagent? Last Fall before I closed the pool I got a CYA level of 60. Now it is below 20. I did the test twice. There was lots of rain this winder, but I don't think there was enough to replace over half the water in the pool.

Thanks everyone for your help. I added some CYA last night. The CYA I addes is about 3 years old, from when I first bought this house and opened the pool. It is dissolving very slowly. 18 hours after adding lots of it is still sitting on the bottom of the pool. Is this because CYA dissolves slowly, or is it because it is 3 years old?

CYA dissolves very slowly.

You shouldn't add CYA directly to the pool. It can cause discoloration or other minor damage to the pool surface. At this point your best bet is to vacuum it up so it sits in the filter.

CYA will still be just fine after 3 years.

The CYA should not have been poured in to the pool but put in a sock and hung over a return to have water flowing past it to help it dissolve. You might want to vacuum it up and let it dissolve in the filter so it will not harm the pool surface. After a week check the CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.