1st time BBB. Please visit and share your knowledge

Hello all. 1st off, thanks for your time and your valued experience.

This is my 1st year utilizing the BBB. Ive had this pool for 3 years and the previous 2 years ive used a Copper system. After reading this forum for a year, ive decided that this is the way I want to go.

I just received my Taylor 2006c and are getting somewhat familiar with it. I still have a long way to go learning.

Here are the numbers thus far.

FC Zero
TA 60
Ph 7.2
Cya Zero

Im going to slam the pool tomorrow 4/5/2014. From the charts, I believe that I should initially hit it with almost 5 gallons of bleach to kick start the 30ppm shock?

I bought bleach from Wally world and it is 8.2 %. Doing the math I came up with right around 5 gallons to achieve the 30ppm initially.

Should I put the Cya in 1st? Im assuming yes.

Im looking forward to this and have been impressed with everyones willingness to share their knowledge and their patients with others in this forum.

Regards,

Scott

Nashville TN

Edited: I found the 12 Fc for shock as I did some more review.

What is the 30ppm that this Taylor book is suggesting? that seems incredibly high

Hello Smykowski. Thanks for your info and reply.

My 30ppm came from the blue Taylor testing and treatment guide. Table B page 54. is 30ppm super shock table for Algae Removal. At 10% available chlorine. 13500 gallons pool water. I did the math that this book showes and I converted the 10% to the 8.2 % that is actual. The math came out to around 5 gallons.

Steer me to where I should have came up with 12 FC

thanks again !

Scott

If you want to follow our methods, then you can not be using the information from that Taylor book. Have you read Pool School yet? There is a chart that shows the appropriate FC level that is a function of CYA level.

If you truly have 0 CYA, then you should never raise the FC above about 5ppm. Best to add CYA up to about 30ppm and then SLAM.

You will also want to learn to use PoolMath which will do the calculations for you.

Hello. yes sir, I have read most all of this site and its a lot to take in when you know nothing about pool chemistry and how to treat a pool. I missed the part on the cya and FC chart.

I feel like its starting to come together. since I got the taylor kit last week, Ive been focusing on reading the book and performing tests with the kit so I can feel comfortable using it.

I plan on solely using this method and I will not use the taylor suggestions.

What is your source of CYA and have you put it in yet? It takes awhile to dissolve so like Jbizzle stated you want to have at least some in there before you bring your FC up to 10-12.

I bought some stabilizer last night and wont be able to put it in until the morning. My Cya is zero.

stupid question. can you grind the Cya to a smaller more powdery substance? And will this speed up the process of dissolving?

Just put it in a sock or pantyhose and hang it in front of the return. Give it a good squeeze when you walk by. It will dissolve faster than you think. Did you use poolmath to see how much to add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been at it since 8am. Its already slightly clearer at 4pm.

I wait and test every hour. This last test it held at 10 ppm with a target Slam at 12ppm.

I've added roughly 1000oz thus far. (8 jugs) I have 16 left on hand still.

Currently I have 3 pounds of CYA in a sock.

pH 7.4
TA 60
Cya?

I will see if I can post a pic

Thanks!
Scott

Hello all. 1st off, thanks for your time and your valued experience.

This is my 1st year utilizing the BBB. Ive had this pool for 3 years and the previous 2 years ive used a Copper system. After reading this forum for a year, ive decided that this is the way I want to go.

I just received my Taylor 2006c and are getting somewhat familiar with it. I still have a long way to go learning.

Here are the numbers thus far.

FC Zero
TA 60
Ph 7.2
Cya Zero

Im going to slam the pool tomorrow 4/5/2014. From the charts, I believe that I should initially hit it with almost 5 gallons of bleach to kick start the 30ppm shock?

I bought bleach from Wally world and it is 8.2 %. Doing the math I came up with right around 5 gallons to achieve the 30ppm initially.

Should I put the Cya in 1st? Im assuming yes.

Im looking forward to this and have been impressed with everyones willingness to share their knowledge and their patients with others in this forum.

Regards,

Scott

Nashville TN

New to BBB method here too
I'm curious - why did you suggest SLAMing the pool at all to begin with?
I just had new liner installed and have been getting levels correct
over the past couple of weeks myself - never read anything about or had anyone suggest SLAMing the pool
Your post didn't suggest anything from what I read to indicate it required SLAM
Did I overlook something?

Hello everyone. I'm sorry I failed to mention in my original post that my pool was green. I'm coming off of a copper system and have never had any chlorine in the pool whatsoever for the past two years. So I guess given that my pool was green and there was no chlorine whatsoever in it or any Cya for that matter, I need to slam my pool from the info that I have learned of this website.

As of 3:45

Pool is slightly green. I can see the bottom where as yesterday I couldn't.

Cya came up to 40.
Had to adjust pH. It was 7.0.
TA is 90.
And the FC is holding at 12.
12 is my Slam target.

I vacuumed the pool and brushed it yesterday. I will do it again today.

Is their anything else I should be doing? Or POP?

Also what other suggestions do y'all have for a fireman who works 24 hours on at 48 hours off? Tomorrow I will leave for the fire hall and I won't come back again until Tuesday morning

If you don't have anybody to check on it, you can bring the FC up higher right before you leave and then just adjust things when you get back. Make sure your filter pressure will be ok for 24 hrs. You could also run it on recirculate till you get back if you have that option.
The green color is it a cloudy green or a clear green which could indicate metals in the water ? A picture could help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.